Chapter 26

***Anna***

Anna couldn't help but shiver at Solmin's words.

I'll have fun breaking you. Who says shit like that?

She wouldn't let him destroy her. Knowing that it was a divine inclination that brought her here, gave her more courage than she would normally have. Hope would hold her together.

Solmin suddenly grabbed her by the hair, and she yelped in surprise. She instinctively grabbed his hand and tried to pry him off of her as he dragged her out of the tent. She kicked out her legs and her eyes started to water at the stinging sensation on her scalp.

"We might as well put your gift to use," he said casually.

"Father, I am sure she will walk with you. She gave me no opposition when I found her," Casten interceded. Solmin stopped and Anna had a moment of relief from the pain. His hand still held her hair and Anna looked over at Cas who stood motionless by her side.

"She has an insolent nature, Cas. This is for her own good. Next time she shows that side of herself, you will be the one to punish her." Casten's eyes held shadows and he subtly pierced his lips together. A heaviness fell over her. This man was beyond horrible. He played with people like a puppet master. Cas showed her some kindness and care and Solmin leapt on it like geese to a breadcrumb.

"Yes, Father," he answered. Solmin let go of her and she fell to the ground.

"Get up, Daughter, and follow me with the obedience my son claims you have." He looked at her like he wanted her to disobey. Of course, she wouldn't. She quickly got to her feet and forced herself not to look in Cas's direction. She rubbed her sore head and wondered what he would ask her to do.

They approached a warrior tending to horses. Fear pierced the man when he saw them. It was the most emotion she had felt all day.

"Well, go on. Tell me of his aura." He said the word like it tasted dirty and he shoved Anna to the warrior and she collided with his chest. The warrior steadied her and she took a couple of steps back.

The man coiled with anxiety and Anna wanted to ease it immediately. She studied his face. He was relatively young and had a curly red beard. His soft green eyes were filled with worry, so obviously that Solmin would certainly know what he was feeling.

Anna gave him a soft reassuring smile and she opened her gift to read him. He was demoralized, just like everyone else in this godforsaken place. There was an itch that came inside her soul that she needed to relieve. She couldn't help it, she needed to help this man. She thoughtlessly grabbed his hand and she tried to pour all her hope inside of him. The strangest thing happened, she felt it back. Holy shit! She dropped his hand. The man's eyes showed surprise for a second before he masked it. Anna started to shake.

She turned her head toward Solmin. Thankfully his full attention seemed to be on her instead of the warrior. She took a breath and said, "He...his aura...is like every other person here. He is empty. This man at least has a bit of a nervous energy. I have a feeling, though, that any man you approach in this camp will feel the same way." She prayed that he didn't notice what just happened between her and this man. She knew she was a good liar, so she held onto that. She gave a fleeting glance at the warrior and his eyes had more of a glint to them. He didn't feel as he did when she first transferred her hope, but he wasn't the same empty shell he was before. A plan started to form in her mind, and she started to feel giddy inside.

"Empty?" Solmin raised his eyes in question. "Did you need to touch him?"

Anna shook her head, "No, but it helps. I have never seen a whole group of people with auras like this. How?"

Solmin's mouth crept into a cruel smile. "Would you like to find out, Daughter?" Fear started to choke her. Why did he look at her like that? His previous words came back to haunt her. I'll have fun breaking you. He broke them.  Crushed their spirits and turned them into robots. They had no spark, so no will to fight back.  Her heart ached for them. These poor people. "Come. I have someone I want you to see. You will tell me if I've made them empty too." 

Anna took another deep breath and followed Solmin to a small white tent that was being guarded by a warrior. She could feel the presence of someone inside. They were in terrible pain. "Bring him to me," Solmin barked. The warrior jumped into action immediately and went to retrieve whoever was in the tent. Solmin leaned into Anna and lowered his voice. "You will see, my daughter, how I treat those who displease me."

Anna dug her nails hard into her wrist in anticipation of who would come out. When the warrior emerged with a prisoner, she fell to her knees. Ostiel. He was hurt everywhere. Anna could feel so much pain. His fingers were missing, his teeth had been pulled out, and his legs were broken. Anna's eyes started to fill with tears, she hurt with him. It was so much. Too much. She was fighting consciousness. She tried to anchor herself. She bit her lip and tasted copper. "Oz," she whispered. He slowly raised his head and looked at her and she was pummeled with feelings of regret.

"Did I break him yet?" Solmin asked from above her. Anna's hand trembled but she reached out to touch Rye's brother. She felt too much pain. She couldn't give him relief, so she gave him the only thing she had. Peace. Through the pain, she wished it all to him.

"He is broken," she said, finally.

"Good. End him for me."  Anna startled in surprise as Solmin handed her his sword. She took the weapon and gawked at the warlord.

"What?"

"Push the sword through him. I can suggest a few good places."

"No. God. No," Anna said shaking her head.

"It's alright, little mage, I am ready," Ostiel gasped. Anna held the sword and wondered if she could possibly stab Solmin with it. She would try that before she would ever kill Oz.

"Ana, do you know where the heart is? Or you could choose the throat, "Solmin suggested pleasantly.

This was how he turned everyone so hollow. Stripping away the humanity. She looked at Oz again, and he did feel peace. She started to cry more. Her hands trembled underneath the sword.

"Do it quickly, girl, or you will feel his pain," the warlord barked. Anna stifled the hysterical giggle that wanted to escape, how ironic. She already felt all of his pain.

She glanced back at Solmin and he was too far for her to actually have a chance at assassinating him. She wondered if he had moved from her consciously, knowing that she would want to kill him.

She put the sword on the ground, and screamed, "You are a poison! Why haven't these men teamed up and killed you yet? The fates-"

Solmin interrupted her, "Cas!"

She felt a hard kick to her ribs and felt them break. Her brother...

Another kick penetrated the same spot and the pain nearly choked her. Pain. It was her anchor. She felt her aching ribs but she didn't hurt everywhere anymore.

"Now, Daughter. Do you still wish to disobey? Pick up the sword and end him." She forced herself to sit back up, and she held her side.

She looked at Casten. He was trembling and looked like he wanted to vomit. "The fates sent me to save you, Cas. I came for you," she implored him softly. His eyes spoke of apologies.

"Again!" The foot collided with her ribs and she fell back down. Her vision started to blacken.

"Anna! Kill me! Please!" She heard Oz plead from beside her. No. She wouldn't do that.

"The fates sent me to save you!" She shouted as loud as she could, hoping all the warriors would hear her. They had no spark, though. She wished she could reach them all, and ignite them.

Another blow came and she was floating. Her eyes tunneled and she could no longer hear anyone around her. A pair of hands grabbed her and lifted her up. She didn't know who it was, but she grabbed their arm and concentrated as hard as she could, trying her best to give them her hope. She couldn't know if it was working or not, so she continued until she finally fell into the black abyss.