Chapter 5 - On A Knifes Edge

Nottingham - Castle De Burgh

The castle was in incredible chaos. It had been clever - she had to hand it to Hood - that he had cut the alarm bell. So it took longer than usual for the sheriff's men to be alerted to deal with the theft of the tax money. But now, the dark black and silver of the tabards under the sheriff's command mingled with the blue and black of Earl De Burg's. Fortunately, she knew a few ways and rarified paths to get to her chambers unseen.

Marian's heart was still pounding as she hastily closed the door behind her and leaned against the wood from the other side. She closed her eyes, then took a few deep breaths in and out before Marian pushed herself off the gate. Quickly she began to peel herself out of her wet clothes. The young woman was just about to push the buttons out of the loops of the dark blue doublet when loud thumping on wood made her flinch.

"Marian?" a voice from the other side of the door sounded muffled to her ears, immediately giving her pulse new nervousness. "Marian? Are you awake?"

Oh, and how she was awake! Her heartbeat had only just calmed down, but it immediately picked up again. Silently she uttered a very unnamed curse, while in the meantime, with flying fingers, she literally tore her doublet from her body and stepped out of her trousers."Yes, I am up! Please, be patient for a moment!" she cried while Marian rushed to her dresser and hastily stuffed the bag with the stolen goods into the first drawer. The leather bumped against the silver casket, making it rattle softly.

The sound immediately jolted Marian's senses, and her movements froze as if time had stopped for her. Sounds faded and moved into the background. She reached for the lid and opened it as if of her own accord. Soft velvet in pine green color lined the inside, and a cushion filled most of the casket. A bangle lay softly nestled there. The filigree gold was beautifully twisted, and the decorations were engraved with the greatest care. A rose-shaped setting finally encircled a red ruby that seemed to glow even in the little light.

Her fingertips felt over the jewelry, and Marian felt her throat tighten. Feelings she so carefully hid under opaque waters of smiles and charades, buried deep and suppressed, washed up. Tears blurred her vision, and Marian blinked against them.

"I did it, Gillian..."

>>Wham Wham Wham<<

The renewed knock on her door made Marian flinch. Damn it, she couldn't let herself be distracted or upset.

'Not now... there'll be plenty of time for that later.'

She quickly closed the box and pushed the drawer shut again to open the one underneath. With a flurry of movements, she pulled a nightgown out of the box and made a makeshift attempt to dry her hair. There was a low rumble as she slung her boots under the bed.

"Is everything all right?"

She could literally see Guy frowning in her mind's eye.

"Y-yes! I just tripped over something. Please wait a moment. My robe is inappropriate," Marian replied aloud, hoping he didn't notice her flurry of activity. She tried to get herself ready quickly with hurried and rushed movements, brushing the tangled strands back from her face and then throwing a shawl around her shoulders. With long strides, she hurried to the arched oak door with its noble fittings and pushed back the iron bolt. She prayed to God that she would not smell too much of the damned water from the moat.