Chapter 4 - No Honor among Thieves

"I have saved your live

"I have saved your live. More than once, when you come right down to it. Don't I deserve thanks for that rather than your resentment?" His voice had a flirtatious undertone as the thief crossed the few feet between them, and the green eyes scrutinized her countenance more closely.

Marian wrinkled her nose in disgust at this clumsy attempt at flattery. As a young lad, Robin of Locksley had not been known for being an excellent horseman or fighter. No, he indulged in ladies, wine, and music whenever possible. He was less the noble heir of a proud house than a bon vivant and ladies' man. Apparently, he hadn't lost much of that attitude in exile.

"All you deserve is a lesson for your cheeky mouth," she therefore returned gruffly. Marian shifted her weight from one leg to the other and crossed her arms before her chest. And yet... as he leaned closer, her heart beat treacherously faster for a moment.

Robin seemed a tiny bit disappointed that his charm didn't seem to work to the extent he was used to. "So much fire in the heart," he murmured softly and leaned closer.

Immediately Marian's arms loosened, and she braced one of them against his chest to keep him at a distance. "Don't do that. Save it for some lonely milkmaids."

His gaze lingered a little longer on her soft features and flashing eyes before he clicked his tongue, apparently giving up. "Well, at least I'll take my loot, then," he murmured suddenly, and as he took a step back from her, he held the two heavy coin pouches in his hands.

Marian's mouth dropped open, and she immediately reached for her bag - but the lid was open, and only the stolen cassette remained inside.

"Your loot?" Immediately she strode up to him and grabbed the bags spiritedly. "I was there before you!" Apparently, he underestimated her - or he deliberately let her reach for them because only a moment later, the weight of the bulging coin pouches was back in her hands. It had been alarmingly easy to take them from him again.

Hood laughed, and one of his eyebrows moved higher in an expression of playful skepticism. "If I hadn't shown up," he put in, reaching for the money in his turn, but Marian turned aside and took a step into the void.

"... My robbery would have been without incident." She finished the sentence in his place. Then, rather by chance, something caught her eye among the foliage and shadows.... and Marian's lips flashed a small smile.

"Whatever you want that money for," Robin meanwhile resumed the conversation and stepped closer again, "I doubtless need it more than you do, Madame. After all, I have a rebellion against a false king to support." leaning closer challengingly, "Admit it: You admire me." With that, he raised his hand and now reached for one of the copper-red strands that had come loose from his braid to wrap it around his finger. A second time Marian would not make it so easy for him. As if she wouldn't notice how he tried to reach for the bags at the same time stealthily! Did he think she would easily fall for him and his sweet talk?

Marian clicked her tongue, and her fingers tightened again against his chest. She felt the resistance of solid muscles under his jerkin as she used gentle pressure to make him back away a little. She knew that he could have easily overcome her as a former soldier. At least in terms of physical strength and certainly combat experience. But Robin turned this confrontation into a cheeky dance, a cat-and-mouse game, unaware that no tiny, defenseless mouse was sitting before him to be impressed by his games. Marian followed him with ease as if they had danced this round dance together many times before.

"Oh, I know your oh-so-noble request, Robin Hood," she commented, her voice lowered to little more than a murmur. She could see his lips forming into a smug grin at the advantage he felt he had. Marian took a step forward. He took another step back.

"Others would call what you are doing treason to England and the Crown - but of course, you know that." Her eyes met his. Her sapphire blue on the bright green reminded her of the firs in Sherwood Forest. Obviously death-defying, he leaned further forward, closer to her face. Gold was apparently not enough for him. Stealing a kiss from her seemed tempting enough for the cocky lothario to become careless. His lips separated only slightly from hers, and warm breath brushed her face. The air between them seemed to crackle with tension. Marian pushed him back another step.

Then there was a rustling, a hissing hum cut through their conversation, and Marian immediately stepped backward a little as a hidden loop closed around Robin's ankle, and his body was jerked upwards. He gave a short yelp, then the leaves that had covered the looping trap tumbled down like snow. Marian couldn't help a short laugh.

"I'm very sorry. But this money belongs to the people of Nottingham. And they need it more than you do." With that, she picked up the two pouches, and the gold inside them clinked before she slipped it back into her pocket.

"That was a sneaky dirty trick. Young lady!" Robin cursed and wiped the cloak from her face. Despite all this, she saw no anger in the thief's features, as if he couldn't take the situation seriously. "Do you call that honorable? Is this how a lady of the court behaves?" he grumbled. He obviously seemed to be trying hard to sound particularly indignant.

"No honor among thieves, Hood." At this, Marian now shrugged her shoulders and couldn't help grinning. "That was a nice little meeting, oh great, incredible Robin Hood, King of Thieves." She executed an implied bow. The smirk put little dimples on her cheeks as she looked into the thief's flushed face and then turned on her heel. "You should find another target for your raids in the future. Earl de Burgh and especially the sheriff will certainly not take this lying down so easily."

He hadn't recognized her... and she should be glad of that. Years lay between Robin Hood and Lady Marian de Burgh. A line not to be crossed. It was better for them both if it remained only this encounter.

Marian had barely taken a few steps when the thief's laughter reached her ears.

"I'm sure we'll meet again!" Robin called out loudly, his voice echoing between the rows of trees. It had already disappeared around the next bend, so she couldn't hear him whispering to himself, "I'll definitely make sure of that... lovely Marian."