Chapter 7 - Whispers in the Night

Marian did not know the answer to this question

Marian did not know the answer to this question. She opened her mouth but closed it again.

"There are many barons of England who firmly believe that King Richard is still alive. And who is willing to take up swords to do so."

Marian's mouth dropped open, and this time, it liked to look cordially unladylike as she glared at the thief. "Robin, if you are right..."

If true, this news could light a new fire of hope. There was plenty of discontent in the land, and few were enthusiastic about the idea of seeing the current Crown Regent as King on the throne of England. If Robin was right, and Richard was still alive - it could change everything. It would make the incumbent ruler a usurper who fleeced the people. However, if Robin were wrong, it would be treason. But that still didn't answer a question that didn't make sense to her.

"But... Why does the notorious thief Robin Hood steal in Nottingham, of all places? You were the Earl of Huntington. Or would have been." No sooner had she uttered that than she could literally feel the thin ice crunching. Robin's hands clenched, and Marian bit her lips.

Those embers were smoldering between them; if Marian was honest, there was still a pile of sharp pebbles in her stomach. Countless questions she had asked herself in the years since Robin of Locksley had chosen war over marriage to her. Then he returned and lived as a filthy thief instead of coming back to her.

The past lay like a dark chasm between them. And Marian, for her part, was unwilling to take a step closer to the edge.

'It doesn't matter anymore. And connects nothing but a past you've gotten over. So focus on what matters!' her mental voice hissed to itself. So she hurried to steer the conversation to the core of her question.

"What I mean is Huntington is several miles south of here. So why are you stealing-" It suddenly dawned on her. She broke off mid-sentence, and a bitter grin graced Robin's lips. Marian could feel the temperature heating a few more degrees and the tension increasing.
"Of course, it must be here. The new liege lord of Huntington is the Sheriff of Nottingham. And he doesn't stay in Huntington most of the time."

So it was revenge he was after all after. Satisfaction for Guy and his father for confiscating his land and wealth. So much for noble motives or helping the people of England. It wasn't about politics. Not only, anyway. Robin was still the offended boy who couldn't stand that Guy had taken something from him. It had been like that before. And apparently, he hadn't changed. That put another heavy stone in the pit of her stomach, and Marian couldn't help her mood also darkening.

"Let's just say that I can settle a personal score by stealing here while pursuing my goals simultaneously." Robin shrugged nonchalantly.

But Marian saw the harsher tone his expression had taken on. He couldn't hide that with a fake smile, either.

"Let's get back to the real reason for my visit," he hit the hook so suddenly that she found it difficult to follow him. "Your castle is now where the taxes are counted and then transported onwards." He stepped towards her, and suddenly Marian felt like a wolf was driving her into a corner. "So I thought maybe we could work together? After all, we basically want the same thing, don't we?"