Chapter 9 - The Law is the Law

Something was different today

Something was different today. Usually, it was enough for the soldiers to take up arms - drawing them was unnecessary. The gesture alone was normally enough because people knew they had nothing to oppose the guards. On the other hand, it was not in Guy's interest to harm the people - as long as they fulfilled their duties and respected the laws the Crown gave.

"Sheriff, show some heart! Our son died in the war; all we have left is the little farm!" the older woman also interjected, looking from pleading eyes to the representative of the law.

The tension in the air became even more palpable when the youngest Hughes, a little boy named Samuel, could no longer bear the burden of his family's suffering. Full of righteous anger, he stepped out from behind his mother, his voice trembling with defiance. "You can't take everything from us!" he cried. "We have nothing left! This is theft! Get out of here!" barked the boy, who could barely reach the men's waists.

For a moment, Guy smiled at the boy and felt something like respect for his courage. He could have been a great soldier if he had fought passionately for the right cause. But the sympathy died when the lad suddenly pulled a small knife from his boot.

"Samuel!" his mother drew in her breath, startled, as her son held out the blade to the Sheriff.

"Put that down, boy. Now," Guy said in a sharp tone. With an almost snide expression, his father reached for the hilt of his sword, and Guy could see the fear growing in the lad's eyes. Then something shot through the air and violently crashed against the Sheriff's head.

He staggered back and, for a second bewilderment, ruled the representatives of the Crown as well as among the servants. Especially in the face of the Sheriff, at whose feet a stone rolled to the ground. The icy eyes stared at the small, sharp-edged chunk on which his blood clung. Moisture soaked his skin, ran down his forehead, and his fingers slid under the black hair streaked with grey. He looked in disbelief at his glove, stained by the red of his blood!

"Lean up!" a man shouted from the crowd.

With that, the powder keg of discontent building up for too long exploded.

"Go away!" A second stone flew, then a third; a woman even threw her basket at one of the soldiers in frustration, and the peasants grabbed their pitchforks and hoes. People rushed forward, young girls screamed and fled as the square turned into a battlefield.

The Sheriff narrowed his eyes. When he raised his eyes this time, the fire of anger burned so hotly in them that blades could be forged with it. A riot! He was ready to strike back with all his might. He straightened and gloated, chin high as if the Lord God Himself was rising above this scene.

"Guy," was all he said, and he nodded once. But no more words were needed.

"Guards!" Guy immediately took command, and now swords whirred, drawn from scabbards. Powerful soldiers against peasants - the battle was decided before it broke loose. Beside him, the soldiers raised their shields. The setting sun flashed on the crown regent's lion crest as his men met the angry people. The soldiers of the lion ready to pounce on the lambs.