Chapter 29 - The Queen of Arrows

The diversions they had to take to avoid running into any of the guards or the sheriff's men who had arrived in the meantime cost them a lot of time

The diversions they had to take to avoid running into any of the guards or the sheriff's men who had arrived in the meantime cost them a lot of time. The route through the forest was exhausting, and more than once, Marian wondered whether Robin knew the way or whether they had lost their way.

To her, in any case, Sherwood Forest looked almost the same everywhere. Her body was still more than clearly complaining about the preceding fall and the panic-stricken chase. Robin and Marian strolled side by side, although their eyes roamed the surroundings vigilantly. But nothing but the endless green of the forest met them on their way.

A soft breeze rose, rustling a few leaves and cheekily tugging at Marian's hood. Only a few small red strands of her hair dared to peek out from under it and sometimes fall into her features. In the meantime, both had pulled down the scarves in front of their faces and were enjoying the fresh air they were thus granted in free breaths.

Marian turned her head to glance at Robin. After they had parted company with the highwaymen, Robin's mood went through various phases.

First, he had been offended in his honor and pride and could not believe that Marian believed a simple thief like Will Scarlett could take him on. He was outraged by this for about the first half hour.

Then, with chin up, followed visible arrogance. After they had moved a little distance away, he had been the first to remind Marian that, as a former heir to what was, after all, a not inconsiderable noble line, he had received an extensive education but had also fought - and survived - in the war. Marian assured him several times not to doubt his abilities at all.

"You learned to fight in the war, Robin Hood, but obviously nothing about tactics," she had finally teased him, noticing that he had not been in much of a joking mood just then. The look he gave her would have made any woman with a less fortified spine duck her head.

"You can help these people, Robin. You can train them, and you can support the rebellion with the raided supplies or the tax money. We can get them better equipment AND give something to the people of Nottingham."

Robin sighed and shook his head at these words. "Marian, as much as I hate to admit it, that imp of Will's was right: the people don't want to listen to a disgraced son of an earl."

"But only because many of the lords have mistreated them. Once you prove yourself to them and show what kind of man you really are, they will soon realize the advantage of having someone with your training under them. Of that, I am sure." Marian smiled at Robin and pulled an arrow from her quiver, waving it demonstratively. "And if Will gets too cheeky for you again later, you can just put an arrow up his arse and say you missed."

"As if Robin Hood would miss!" outraged Robin, yet unable to prevent the corner of his mouth from twitching treacherously.

"Of course, he wouldn't. The great, wonderful Robin Hood would never miss," Marian said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "I could be wrong, of course, but I seem to recall that there was once a spoilt little noble scion whose shots landed in the outer ring several times in archery, and who did the worst of us?"