Chapter 27 - Pride & Prejudice

"I'm sure they ran in that direction

"I'm sure they ran in that direction."

"How could they disappear so quickly?" The two soldiers looked around in alarm as if they could sense danger.

Beside Marian and Robin, Will began to stir. Crouching on the ground just as they did under the roots of the old oak tree, his fingers slid down the side of his body very slowly. Marian winced inwardly with every little rustle of the dry leaves they were all lying on. Her eyes jumped back and forth between the soldiers, Will and Robin, in panic. She couldn't be serious! Hadn't they realized just now in the fight that they didn't stand the slightest chance against the men? The blade of his little knife would hardly get through the chain mail.

She reached for Robin's upper arm at that moment, who turned cautiously to face her. Mutely, Marian moved her lips, and her gaze went to Will. One of his long knives flashed in his hands, and he crawled forward cautiously. Marian's blood drained from her features, and her skin turned ashen. Her expression became sheer terror, and she shook her head again with fear-filled emphasis.

'You can't let this happen!' she pleaded silently but noticed Robin's eyes fixed on her fingers on his arm instead of Will's. His gaze slid slowly upwards, and the sly smile he then put on could have made even nuns blush. Heat rose in her cheeks and tingled to her fingertips. Marian was unsure whether it was anger or shame. Did he think she was so afraid that she clung to him fearfully? Immediately she let go of Robin's arm again and stifled a hiss. Damn it; she didn't want to flirt - she tried to...!

'If you want something done properly, do it yourself!' her inner voice thundered inside her, and Marian turned her head resolutely. They would all die if this idiotic poacher tried to attack the guards. She had to do something! And she had to do it now!

So her arms shot forward, and her fingers gripped Will's boots tightly. Marian didn't do things by halves. She tried to make herself as heavy as she could, and her fingers squeezed so hard that the brittle leather of Will's boots cracked. Immediately the man's eyes darted around to her, and with one hand, he swatted at her hands, wagging.

Now, however, Robin seemed to realize too. He stretched, grabbed Will's belt, and dragged him back under the tree as well. Earth scraped beneath him. The leaves rustled softly.

"Did you hear that?"

Everyone froze. Will's eyes widened as he slowly turned his head. Would they see him?

None of the thieves among the roots dared to stir. Every muscle was tense. Robin's fingers gripped the hilt of his sword. He felt the leather of the wrap and the cold metal crying out to end a life. Robin had heard this chant when wielding it in the desert in his dreams. Every sword sounded different; it had its own sound as it slid through the air, swung, and fell silent only when it tasted blood and flesh. Robin's throat tightened as dark memories rose within him-memories of moments when it was the enemy or me. But in the end, being the survivor had rarely felt like a victory.