Chapter 47 - Downfall

Soldiers rushed in from the thickets near and far, arrows hissing and slamming into bodies and trees

Soldiers rushed in from the thickets near and far, arrows hissing and slamming into bodies and trees. Within seconds, a battle broke out in the bandits' camp and washed over it like a roaring wave.

All hell broke loose over them - and in the next instant, blades and arrows whirred through the air, men screamed in pain or roared to attack. Robin immediately drew his bow and, in a flash, applied the first arrow. It hit one of the soldiers in the thigh and knocked him to the ground.

"How did they find the camp?" Scarlet, who had drawn the knives, immediately threw himself at one of the soldiers about to attack one of the younger boys. The blades whirred through the air, and Will showed evident skill with the sharp blades. He dodged a sword, jumped to the side, and took advantage of the gap in the soldier's defense to sink a throwing knife into his hand.

But another charged at him from behind. This time Robin intervened, dashed into the attacker's line, and crouched, sending the man tumbling over Robin with his momentum and falling hard to the ground. The youngest of the gang wasted no time now, grabbing a nearby iron pot and thundering it against the soldier's head. It was a chaotic and dishonorable fight. No tournament or festival; it was a dirty fight for life and death.

The bandits threw leaves in the faces of the soldiers, and from above, one threw a basket of wood to hit the attackers on the ground. Alan-a-Dale was clever enough to grab a pan and hurl the glowing coals and ashes toward the attackers - buying himself time. But the Sheriff's men were outnumbered, further supported by those of the Earl.

"Marian!" Sword in hand, Guy charged straight at Marian, who stood amid the battle tumult. It was dangerous in the heat of such a battle; she could be injured or even killed. He only had one thought: to save her and keep her safe with him again.

John, who had just smashed a soldier against a tree like rotten fruit, was about to grab one of the long sticks they used to prop up the shelters. Out of his eye, he saw an armed man rushing directly toward the Lady. If one might have doubted the bandit's honorable heart until now, he proved it when he put himself between Marian and the supposed attacker without hesitation.

"Out of my way, filthy scum!" hissed Guy, aiming his blade at the giant who was no doubt planning to steal the Lady or do worse to her.

"I think not of it! You will not harm the Lady!" proclaimed the big giant, pushing himself before Marian like a protective wall. He had no more than his fists and staff of solid wood to oppose a sword - but that did not hold him back.

Guy's look showed that he did not understand what was going on. It took another second before he understood: both men wanted to protect the Lady, each from the other?! The bandit tried to protect her with his life - from him?

"Have you gone mad, John? Run away!" meanwhile, Marian hissed at the towering John, who had placed himself between her and Guy. "He won't hurt me!" she assured him, tugging at the bandit's big arm to pull him out of the way. "Flee!" she pleaded, hissing, "You have no chance against these soldiers! Flee with Robin! Please!"

John hesitated. His gaze slid nervously back and forth between Guy, the blade, and Marian. The staff in his hands groaned under the pressure, then he nodded and turned away. "You have won for today, Sir Knight. But if you hurt the Lady, I will find you!" threatened John instead of running away.

"Marian!" warned Guy, who took a step closer and reached out to grab her. "What are you doing? If anyone sees you getting involved with bandits...!"

As if the devil had heard his thoughts, at that moment, the Sheriff raised his arm and pointed at Robin Hood amidst the tumult of battle. The latter, together with Will Scarlet and John, fought their way to the few horses so that they could escape on their backs. Since most of the Sheriff's men had been on foot, to be quiet would be an unmistakable advantage.

"There he is! Archers! Shoot him!" the Sheriff ordered, and Marian's eyes widened in disbelieving terror as she saw one of the archers immediately comply with the command. He raised his bow, wood bent. He narrowed his eyes, and the tip of the arrow aimed at Robin's back, sliding back and forth, seeking a clear shot between the trees and the fighting men. The arrow hissed through the air, and Marian's heart tightened.

As it drilled into a tree near Robin, she expelled her breath, and her panic set in.

"Guy!" her fingers reached for her fiancé's tunic, and there was a plea in her eyes. He had been his friend. Marian could not believe that Guy had done nothing. Surely he could not stand idly by and watch Robin simply be shot?!

But this was a plea Guy could not hear. "Come on, I'll take you away!" he said instead, holding Marian's hand firmly. He turned around - and Marian's stopped. As if rooted to the spot.

It didn't take her long to make her decision. Marian followed her heart and reached for Guy's dark wood bow. She snatched it from Guy's back, whose eyes widened in disbelief. Then her hand shot forward, and before Guy could stop it, she snatched three arrows from his quiver. Quick as a flash, she applied the first. Marian spun, and the string yielded readily to her pull.

"Marian!" Guy's voice sounded distant.

The colors around her melted into shadows. Sounds sank away. Rustling leaves, cracking branches, clanking weapons, shouts, and screams. Everything ran into each other like watered-down colors on a palette, lost in shape and texture. A breath. Then silence. Even Marian's heartbeat seemed to fall silent as her thoughts and the struggle around her fell silent. There was only her and the arrow. Marian let go of the string.

Whirring, she released the arrow. The wood bent around the bow, and it shot away. It flew, cut the air, and hit its target with full force.

 It flew, cut the air, and hit its target with full force