Chapter 31 - Under the Oaktree

The sun was already setting when they reached the village

The sun was already setting when they reached the village. Edwinstowe was considered one of the gateways to Sherwood Forest and was larger than most county settlements. The loss of one of the grain stores in the storm meant great suffering for the community. As a result, they lost a not inconsiderable part of their grain and could only hope to save a part of it by sowing it quickly to survive the winter.

The sunlight fought its last battle against the rising shadows of night, making the thatched roofs look deceptively idyllic in the orange-gold light.

"This way."

Marian led Robin between the houses hugged by greenery. She knew precisely which cottages she wanted to go to. Since her father had no son or heir to bequeath his belongings to, the young lady had often been at his side when he visited the villages. She was familiar with the people there, knew many by name, and knew who was particularly hard up. The negotiations with Will and John over the stolen money had been tough. Since Marian had left much of her share to the thieves at Sherwood, her haul from this robbery was quite meager.

"No matter what you want to show me, Marian. I stand by my share going in its entirety to the Rebellion. That helps more than a coin, which these fools will probably just throw out at the tavern to drown their sorrows anyway."

Marian rolled her eyes. "People sometimes need more than just a hidden rebellion Robin," she said quietly. Then the footsteps of an approaching farmer alerted her. Hastily she pulled Robin into the sheltering shade between a hut and a thick bush by the side of the path. Fortunately, the man strode past and did not seem to have noticed her.

"Wait here," she murmured, then Marian slipped around the corner to head for the next house. Watchfully, her eyes slid around to ensure no one was paying her attention before Marian deposited the coins on the doorstep and then hurriedly walked back to the hidden thief. Robin was already impatiently playing with a few small stones he had picked up beside the path, throwing them in the air and catching them again. As soon as Marian was back, he took a swing.

The small stone flew through the air in a high arc and then crashed with a dull >>Plock!<< against the boards of the entrance door. Tensely they waited, but it took three more before something finally stirred inside the house.

Only a little later, an emaciated young woman with brown hair emitted a sound somewhere between a sob and a surprised cry. A very twisted sound that could only come from a soul that had already thought it had lost hope of recovery. The baby in her arms began to cry while her husband rushed anxiously from the house to help. While simultaneously trying to calm the child, they both stared at the shiny coins of sterling in hands marked by hard work. That could tide them over for the rest of the month, maybe longer. To whom did they think they owed this good fortune? Was it a gift from God? The Lord God sent words of comfort, perhaps, but no hard cash.

Tears flowed down dirty cheeks. The sobs of joy were mixed with a blissful 'Thank God.' Even the man had tears in his eyes as they embraced each other, and the farmer kissed his wife and child's crested head. "Thank you... Oh, thank you so much..." the mother repeatedly sobbed, pressing the coins to her chest beside her child.