Chapter 6 - The Uninvited Guest

Nottingham - Castle De BurghThree days later

Three days later

The door creaked shut behind her chambermaid, leaving Marian alone in her chamber. Most of the candles of the silver chandeliers had been extinguished for the upcoming night's rest, and the soft crackling of the wood in the fireplace, together with the dancing flames. It filled the chamber with a cozy atmosphere. Marian's thoughts, however, did not hang in the large four-poster bed with the dark red curtains with ornaments on brocade. Since Robin Hood's break-in three days ago, there had been a tense atmosphere in the fortress.

She felt sorry for the poor guards, who had been especially hard-pressed in the last few hours of training. The captain increasingly needed an explanation in front of the Sheriff of Nottingham and her father. It could have been less of an uproar if it had been the first time Robin Hood had relieved the tax collectors of part of their tithe. But it wasn't.

Hood had already entered the chamber of counters six times before in different ways and had stolen a not-inconsiderable part of the tax money each time. The sheriff, the earl, and Guy were furious. The guards were increasingly stepping up, and the counting-house was eventually moved from the custom houses to the fort's interior. But as had now become apparent, even this did not stop the thief. Hood acted according to no pattern. He appeared like a whirlwind, leaving chaos in his wake, and the confusion, he disappeared like a ghost.

Marian sighed and peeled herself out of the evening gown, its fabric rustling softly on the chemise before the bed. She shivered in the thin garment of cotton and linen, which fell to her ankles like white snow while a gentle breeze brushed the back of her neck.

Just now, in the distance, like a bird following the wind with wings spread, her thoughts returned in a flash to the here and now. Her heartbeat quickened, and the fine hairs on the back of her neck stood up before a shiver of unease crept over her skin and gave her goosebumps. Immediately Marian tensed and turned slowly towards the window of her bay window.

Where the windows should be closed, the curtains drawn. But instead a dark figure leaned against the window frame. The moonlight fell against a broad cross and shrouded the features under a hood in shadow. But Marian didn't need to see it either to know who was standing there.

'Why is he here? He didn't know who you were, did he?' 

Marian decided for now to try a charade. "Who are you?" she asked, stepping backward to mime the image of the poor, frightened lady. "W-what do you want from me?" Marian was convinced her acting performance deserved an award. Hardly any showman on the street would have done better. Instead, however, the dark figure let out a laugh.

"Oh, please," he waved it off and puffed in amusement. "I wouldn't buy that even if you hadn't tricked me so brazenly."

It was so quiet for a moment that one could have heard the mice coughing in the walls.