Chapter 41 - The Masquerade

"Archers," the command echoed across the castle courtyard, tensely, the spectators held their breath

"Archers," the command echoed across the castle courtyard, tensely, the spectators held their breath. "Forward!"

The men took their places. Eight men who could not be more different. Guy of Gisborne turned the arrow in his hands, straightened the fletching, then rested it on the back of his hand. His gaze slid to the side, to the other men who had made it into this round. None interested him ... except one.

"Is it coal dust and egg?" asked Guy, murmuring to the man on his right, who gave him no glance from under his hat. How cheeky could one be? Did Robin really think he wouldn't recognize him? Just because of that ridiculous disguise and blackened hair? Or was he so arrogant that he didn't care? Did he think he wouldn't betray him just because they had once been friends years ago?

"Walnut shells and goat fat," the voice beside him rang out as the archer cocked and relaxed the bow once - presumably to get a feel for the bow and the pull of the string.

"That's the most ridiculous false beard I've ever seen," Guy growled sideways, his angry gaze settling on the brazen thief who was dancing on all their noses with that ridiculous disguise! The beard was so fake that anyone should have noticed. What had he used for it? Tree resin and the fur of some animal? It looked so ridiculous that Guy wondered what the idiot had been thinking!

Playfully, Robin twirled the arrow in his hands. "Well, I'm afraid I don't have your father's same thick beard growth."

"Still jealous, Hood? Of my heritage this time?" How cavalierly and brazenly the thief spoke to him. He had not even tried to conceal his identity from him. Had Robin known something that Guy would see through him? And yet here he was? After all, he had done and how he had put Marian in danger? What was he going to do? Tear off his disguise after archery to taunt him, his father, and the Earl?

'Haha, the infamous thief Robin Hood danced under their noses, and no one noticed!' Guy's body tensed, and his anger boiled and seethed. "And what was to stop me from having you arrested on the spot, Robin Hood?"

At that, Hood turned aside, no smile on his lips, and narrowed his eyes briefly."Because I know you care about Marian," Robin replied, his gaze sliding past Guy to said lady.

"You certainly won't stain her feast with blood. Just like me, you won't be full of us ruining her birthday. I'm just here to show you something." At this, the bastard raised his overly bushy eyebrows as falsely as his ridiculous beard.

"Sir of Gisborne?" the herald paced a little sheepishly, clearing his throat for the third time. "It is your turn." The good man with the large feather on his hat pointed to the target. Both men had been so engrossed in their raucous feud that they hadn't even noticed the shots fired by the other four opponents in front of them.

Guy's gaze briefly flitted to Robin again, then he tightened his grip on the arrow, and the herald moved to a distance as Guy stepped forward to the firing line. His gaze was intent and focused as he raised and set the bow. A slight, tepid wind blew. There was silence in the square except for a few cheers as he held his breath and finally released the arrow. The string trembled as if it was eagerly awaiting the result.

The arrow whizzed through the air and hit Marians' so close that both trembled against the target. A loud cheer and clap erupted as Guy lowered his bow, his chest swelling with pride. The grey-blue eyes flashed with satisfaction, and Guy glanced at Marian. The smile on her lips was both confirmation and reward to him and set a pleasant tingle in his belly. As he strode past Robin, his gaze was stern and warning but confident of victory-the tip of his touched hair's breadth to that of Marian's arrow.

"Well? I only don't call the guards because I want to see you lose. You have no place here in this court anymore," Guy hissed, and Robin chuckled. His chest quivered as he restrained himself from bursting into uproarious laughter.

"I think that this is out of your hands, my friend. As usual," Robin said, and Guy drew in his breath so sharply that even Robin could hear the ice crack. Then he turned and bowed gravely as he presented the arrow like a relic.

"This arrow, I dedicate to the enchanting Lady De Burgh," he proclaimed loudly and resoundingly so everyone could hear. But there was only one person he looked at afterward: Maid Marian. He then turned on his heel and stopped at the line drawn in the ground. "And this shot I dedicate to the Queen of Bow and Arrow," he called aloud, drawing back the bowstring.

Robin remembered the infinite number of times he had practiced this shot. But he never wanted to succeed. The arrow missed. It slipped, slid, and jumped to the side. It had taken him years to hit his target. The end of the arrow lay in his fingers, and the feathers quivered under his breath. The time flowed more slowly. The world around him became silent. No laughter, no sound of music or drums. No murmur, and even the wind fell silent. Not a thought, not a breath. Just the target and him.

Robin clicked his tongue loudly, then averted his eyes from the finish and looked towards the stands. "Marvel. For I am the best shot England has ever seen!" Then he let go and shot blindly without aiming. The arrow flew like a shadow, unchecked by wind and trepidation.

 The arrow flew like a shadow, unchecked by wind and trepidation