Chapter 38 - The Maiden's Tournament

Nottinghamshire - Castle De Burgh

A few days later

The sun disappeared behind the horizon, drenching the sky in the star-embroidered veil of night and returning, accompanied by birdsong, for a fresh day and the next run of the sun.

People went about their day's work, tilling the fields, cutting wood, and driving the cattle across the green of the meadows. It was not long before word spread of the robbed tax coach and the thieves who had tangled with the prince's men. The rumors were quashed quickly and with a firm hand, but this endeavor was not really successful. Rumour and whispers traveled from ear to ear, spreading like a leaf with the wind.

Three times the morning light greeted Sherwood Forest and the surrounding lands with rays of golden light. On the morning of the fourth day, the bells rang as if in greeting, foreshadowing that this day would not be like the others before.

Nottingham's grey and dirty streets were thronged with far more servants than usual. Traders had already spread their wares on display at dusk, and the mood seemed to rise on a mild wind of expectant uplift. In the market square, the innkeeper had already brought a few benches and tables into the street in the morning, and small garlands of colorful pennants fluttered in a balmy breeze.

On days like these, even the tormented people could forget their worries for a little while. Many a happy farmer had received a good wage for his goods at the market in front of the fortress; showmen made people laugh or marvel in the street and castle courtyard. Even the odd suckling pig sizzled over fires and was distributed free of charge by the lord of the castle to the people on this day of joy, along with beer and mead, to stir up spirits: for today, and ONLY today, was the cradle feast of his only daughter!

Nottingham and the fortress were buzzing like a beehive. Scores of visitors from surrounding villages and homesteads swarmed into the streets for the feast of the day the young lady had not retreated behind the walls with the high nobility. Unlike many names of noble lords who spread nothing but grief and hatred in those days, the Maiden was known for her heart for the ordinary people, and today her anniversary brought even greater joy: a small tournament in the front yard of the castle-competitions in which even the common people were allowed to participate and win prizes.

What caused an uproar in some noble circles gave the common people an opportunity on this day that was otherwise reserved for the nobles. The rush of this festival was correspondingly great. Soon the scenes of the competitions were surrounded by onlookers, and the scribes' lists were so long that several rounds had to be scheduled.

In particular, the discipline for which almost every Englishman was born with a passion was in great demand: archery.

"There are to be more than three rounds, sire," reported the herald his father had sent ahead, and Guy gave an amused snort.