Chapter 48 - The Decision

The archer, who had just put on the next arrow and aimed at Robin's back, did not know what hit him

The archer, who had just put on the next arrow and aimed at Robin's back, did not know what hit him. Something hit his bow, just above his fingers, and jerked his arm to the side. The wood of the weapon cracked menacingly and burst under the weight of hit and pull, breaking apart, and the throwing arm splintered at the hilt. Due to the tension on the bow and the weight of the taut string, it smashed the soldier's own bow wood full force into his face - he immediately fell unconscious to the side.

Robin wheeled around, and his eyes met Marian's. There was much unsaid in it, yet neither could speak it out loud. There was far too little time. Marian knew that all she had to do was ask, and Robin, that fool would have stormed back and tried to take her with him. But then, neither he nor the others would have gotten out alive. That decision, too, was made in a heartbeat.

"Run!" Marian's lips formed soundlessly, and she hoped that the wind would carry this plea all the way to Robin. She saw him hesitate and struggle - then John relentlessly grabbed Robin's shoulder and pulled him onto the horse's back.

Marian knew she had pushed her luck and fate far too often. This decisive moment had to come - and now it had. The young woman had already put on the next arrow.

"Sheriff!" the usually soft voice blared, and irritated men turned their heads. The one addressed also turned his gaze and stared at the tip of an arrow pointed at his chest. There lay the bow, ready for a fatal shot at the representative of the law. But not in the hands of a bandit -but in those of Lady Marian De Burgh.

"What do you think you're doing, girl?" the Sheriff asked, his voice sharp as a sword ready to strike. The grey eyes flashed in the dull light of the forest like those of a cat who didn't take the little mouse too seriously.

"Call off your men, Sheriff! Now! Or this arrow will strike your throat as I stand here!" Marian kept her eyes firmly on her target. She had hit the center of the target in the castle courtyard at over fifty yards, and through the turmoil of battle, the narrow wood of a bow. A broad chest like the Sheriff's was an easy target. It didn't take an educated man to work it out. He underestimated her - but he had better not. Marian was not a delicate maiden who only embroidered flowers on pillows - and he would do well to take her seriously.

The Sheriff's eyes narrowed. Maid Marian had been in the convent for several years, and originally the Sheriff hoped that she would learn from the sisters what was expected of a good girl. But apparently, this wild and dangerous spirit had not been sufficiently tamed.

The Earl's men had paused in the fight; they were now staring wide-eyed at their Lady, unable to believe what they saw. Lady Marian De Burgh was threatening the Sheriff of Nottingham!Then the Sheriff snorted and raised his arm, after which his men lowered their weapons. An oppressive, heavy silence descended on the clearing, foreshadowing black waves of gathering disaster as the Sheriff turned to the girl.

The clatter of hooves moved away, and men rushed into the woods and leaped out like escaping deer, glad to have escaped the wolf's jaws. None of the filthy pack stayed to help the Lady who had made her escape possible. Not one. Not a Robin Hood, nor any other of the rats who feasted on the people. And that was precisely what he was going to make her aware of. He would catch these bastards soon enough. They had seen more than one, and they would sing like birds with the proper methods.

His gaze settled on the man behind her, in the noble clothes and with the crest of his house on his chest. His scion - who stood idly, mouth open and eyes big and widened, the arrow on her bow would be aimed at him. Not only Marian De Burgh would have something to learn today. And HE would drill that lesson into them once and for all.

"Guy. Arrest this traitor to the people and the Crown," the Sheriff ordered in a firm voice. Although an arrow pointed at him, his posture still radiated aplomb as if that one could not harm him. No trembling, no nervousness, not even apparent tension. Like a lion who merely gave the bunny a little head start before snapping the little neck.

Behind Marian, the person addressed flinched as if he had been slapped in the face."Sheriff. Lady De Bugh is just-" he put in but was silenced by his father's frosty look. Unlike his father, Guy of Gisborne was anything but calm. Chaos reigned within him. Morality and his law-abidingness wrestled with affection and deep disappointment. His world was trembling and about to collapse like a house of cards.

Then Guy took a step forward, and a dagger blade laid against the throat of the woman he had come to save. "Drop the bow, my lady." His voice was rough and far from any steadfastness it usually possessed. His fingers were so tight around the dagger's hilt that the leather crunched under the pressure. Guy trembled.

Marian hesitated, but she knew that this situation knew only one end. Slowly she lowered her bow and arrow, and Guy immediately reached to snatch those from her. He was not gentle - because he knew everyone else would only be rougher. First and foremost, his father.

"Tie and arrest," the Sheriff ordered, and Guy obediently pulled the Lady's wrists back. He tied them with one of the rough hemp ropes they had brought for the bandits. For criminals and traitors to the Crown and country. And now they lay around the wrists of the woman he had wanted to protect - but who had chosen thieves instead of law and order.

His father, meanwhile, bridged the gap and rose in front of them like massive black cliffs against which even the greatest waves broke. He raised his hand and reached for the maiden's face to pierce her eyes with his own.

The atmosphere was oppressive and heavy as lead; men exchanged glances and found no answers to their questions. Unable of proper action, they stood there and did not move.

"I hope you are prepared to face the consequences of your actions, my lady," the Sheriff murmured darkly. Then he pushed her back into the arms of two guards. He straightened up again and icily looked down at the foolish girl.

"Lady Marian De Burgh. I arrest you for fraternizing with the enemy and conspiring against the Crown and England."