Fury Finds Out

Anonymous request from Tumblr: "What are some moments with sunshine, Bucky, and nick fury? Like when fury found out about them, he seeing some pda? And/Or what about sunshine and nick? Like it was nick's birthday and sunshine gave him a present and cake."

"No," Sam hisses into the phone, turned away from the conference room table as more of your team-mates filter into the conference room. "I'm not covering for you again. Fury's gonna be here today so you both need to get your asses here."

"Please?" you plead. "We're already in the city. We won't even make it back in time. Please?"

"No!"

"Please, please, please?" you implore.

"No. No-"

"Okay, thank you so much, Sam. Love you! Bye!"

"I-" Sam starts, only to be cut off by the little beep of a dead line. He angrily exhales at the dark phone screen. "Damn it."

Clint chuckles at Sam's expression. "They're not coming, are they?"

"No," Sam huffs. "They're not."

"Have fun explaining that to Fury," Clint snickers.

"Do not make this worse for me," Sam warns, already dreading telling Nick Fury that half the team hadn't even shown up for this meeting.

But he, the responsible Avenger that showed up prepared and 15 minutes early, was now going to have to answer for his truant teammates.

"Come on," Clint guffaws. "Doesn't matter what I say. Fury's got massive blindspots when it comes to anything about his golden child. "

"Do not make this meeting any worse for me, Clint," Sam pointedly repeats.

Clint continues, brushing off Sam's comment with another teasing remark. "You're telling me that he doesn't? The man is the literal director of SHIELD. He knows what happens in this Compound before the thought even occurs to anyone, and he hasn't figured out that his golden child has now moved in with Bucky?"

"Don't start," Sam sighs, not meeting Clint's probing gaze.

Clint knowingly gasps, his new realization lighting up his entire face. "Oh my God, he doesn't even know they're together, does he?"

Sam falters for a moment, silently cursing both you and Bucky for what he was going to have to put up with today. "But that's none of our business and we most certainly aren't going to say anything about it before they can!"

"But they're not here now, are they?" Clint challenges, a mischievous grin firmly planted on his face. "This is gonna be an amazing meeting. I can feel it already."

Sam leans over the table, planting both his hand on either side of him. "Please, Clint. I beg you to keep your mouth shut."

Clint shrugs, nonchalantly settling back in his chair. "You're just lucky Steve's not here. He'd fold the second Nick asked where they are."

"Where who is?" Nick questions, striding into the room.

"Um... it looks like a few of our fellow teammates will not be here today," Sam reluctantly informs, once again, silently cursing you and Bucky for making him cover for the two of you. Again. "They send their regards."

It wasn't that Sam was scared of Nick Fury, but he definitely didn't like the grimace already forming on Fury's face before he's even spoken.

And the thing was, Sam already knew that Nick Fury had an undeniable soft spot reserved for you. That soft spot undoubtedly came with perks, but that also meant Fury was very protective over you. Nick Fury being Nick Fury would never truly admit it, but he cared immensely about you.

Sam didn't really think you were deliberately hiding your relationship from Nick, you didn't see Nick very often and when you did it was usually in passing. One thing Sam did know, is that today of all days, in a meeting about an extremely important upcoming mission, and from Clint of all people, would be a terrible way to break that news to Nick Fury.

Nick opens his mouth to speak, but Sam cuts him off, quickly adding, "But I will relay any and all information to them."

"You could probably just tell Bucky, they're very close these days," Clint teases, using his hand to cover his suggestive smirk.

Sam isn't sure whether Clint's insinuation really does just go over Nick's head or if he's just choosing to ignore Clint, but Nick turns back to Sam with a frown. "And why isn't the entire team present?"

"Steve and Natasha believe they found a new lead in their assignment, so they are currently leading a recon mission. They'll be back later today," Sam informs, avoiding the subject of you and Bucky.

"And?" Clint prompts, a wicked grin on his face that tells Sam that he's enjoying the torment he's causing far too much to stop.

Sam clears his throat, biting back the obscenities he desperately wants to hurl at Clint. Sam gestures to the two glaringly open seats where you and Bucky both usually sit, "And they have both decided to take a personal day."

"At the same time?" Clint muses. "Isn't that strange?"

Sam sucks in an angry breath, sharply kicking Clint's shin underneath the table.

Nick cuts Clint off with the wave of his hand. "What she, or any of the other team for that matter, does on their off time is none of my concern."

"More like who."

"Clint," Sam sharply admonishes.

And with Clint's little snide comment, it all suddenly clicks into place for Fury, the realization hitting him like a truck. "Motherfu-"