Advice

Anonymous request from Tumblr: "New to tumblr, please bear with me😭🙏 I love Bucky x sunshine fics and read them religiously on ao3! Wondering if u could do one where Peter/sunshine are hanging out a lot bc he feels safe with her/looks up to her. Bucky is craving sunshine's attention so he flirts with sunshine but she just doesn't really pick up on the ques, and the team is teasing them bc they're all assuming she understands. Bucky progressively flirts more obviously to try to get her to notice but it's not working."

"Can I ask you for your advice?"

Peter's voice comes from the other side of the common room where he'd been working on homework. It was a common enough occurrence. Today, it was just you and Peter, but there were plenty of times that MJ and Ned also joined him.

You look around the room to find no one else besides you and Peter. You turn back to him pointing at yourself, "You're asking me?"

"Yeah."

"Er... I don't think I'm supposed to be giving advice. That's Steve and Sam territory."

"Nah," Peter disagrees. "I want to hear what you think. Besides if I ask them, Steve'll start calling me 'son' again, and Sam's still pretending I'm invisible."

"Again?" you sigh, shaking your head. Peter wordlessly nods. You dismissively wave your hand, "Don't worry about it, I'll talk to Sam."

"Wait, that wasn't what I needed your advice on! Please?"

"Oh.. sure!" you shrug.

"Well, I guess, I'm sorta having a hard time with the superhero thing. Sam told me that you've never, you know," Peter hesitates, tugging at his collar as an insinuation. "Killed anyone."

You frown, "Oh."

"I mean, I just - I wanted to know how you do it."

"How I don't kill people?"

"No - I mean - Sorta. Sam told me that you hold back a lot," Peter sheepishly explains. "And I guess, I sorta knew that already. I mean you could kill us all if you wanted to. Not that I thought you would do that or anything, but like even with bad guys. And you're just like so happy all the time!"

You take a moment to process Peter's rambling. Your mouth twists apologetically, "Pete, I won't lie to you, I don't think there was a question there."

"You seem decently happy with Mr. Bucky, not that I can really tell because he's always frowning at me. But you are. You're happy. You have a life. I just wanna know how you do it."

"You want to know how I have a life?"

"Is that a stupid question? It's a stupid question, isn't it?"

"No!" you assure Peter. "Of course not! I'm glad you came to talk to me, I'm very wisdomous."

"So?"

"Oh, right..." Your mouth twists as you think about Peter's question for a long moment. "I dunno, that was a choice that I made when I was thrown into this. I didn't want to be someone other people were scared of. I want to be good. I want to believe that people are good."

"Even when they're not?"

You chuckle, "I didn't say it was easy. I forget that sometimes too. That's why you surround yourself with good people. They'll remind you when you forget."

"That's really it?"

"And I listen to a lot of Taylor Swift."

Peter nods in agreement, "Already do that."