Volume 4, Entry 4

Day: 9th
Month: July
Year: 854

The 57th Expedition beyond the walls. It was supposed to change the course of humanity. Erwin was certain that his new long range scouting formation would minimize casualties and keep Eren well protected.

It was a disaster. With devastating effects.

The signs were there, we just don't pay attention to them.

During the retaking of Trost, Hange and her team had managed to snag two titans for research; Sawney and Bean. Hange wasn't very maternal but sometimes I thought she saw those two as her own. Poor Moblit, always on edge that Hange was going to get herself killed. I shared the same fear. I loved Hange's passion, but I was fearful that that passion would get her killed.

Guess it doesn't matter now.

Hange would spend hours upon hours running experiments. After we learned the truth about what titans really were, Hange felt a crushing guilt she carried with her until her death.

Despite the tight security surrounding Sawney and Bean. I remember hearing a cry of raging sadness from the court yard where they were being kept. I instantly recognized as Hange. I nearly jumped out of the window trying to get to her.

Sawney and Bean had been murdered. It all seemed...off. For one thing, they had been killed with ODM blades. While you could get them on the black market in the Underground, it was unusual for a citizen to have one. It had to have been someone in the military, especially the survey corps. No one else could have slipped past security like that, or known how to kill two titans.

Not many people knew, but Hange was close to making a big breakthrough on the origins of titans. Someone had found out, and needed the pair gone.

We had a traitor amongst us. I tried to voice my concern to Erwin. I didn't think an expedition was a good idea if we didn't know who it was. But he told me not to worry, we had a deadline to keep, and we would be going ahead as planned.

It was one of the times I saw Erwin as a devil, being pushed by his own curiosity and desire. His growing obsession with the basement in Shiganshina.

In order to prepare for the expedition, Eren had been working with Hange on controlling his transformation.

After numerous attempts, it seemed that maybe Eren was a once off. Maybe putting all of our faith in him was a mistake.

I would sit up with Hange at night as she poured over her notes, feeling like somehow she had failed. I hated seeing her so upset, but I didn't know what to say to her. All I knew was killing titans. Most nights I would carry her to her room.

It all seemed lost until we had a break for tea one afternoon, after another failure. One moment I was chatting with Petra, she was trying to stay optimistic, telling me I was possibly being to hard on Eren. Reminding me he was just a kid. It's kinda funny, cause she was just a kid too. It was one of the rare times she disagreed with me. Seeing as I didn't have much of a childhood, I didn't understand that others may not have had to grow up as fast as I did.

As Petra was pleading Eren's case blasted of steam hit us. I was sure I saw Eld being thrown past me. Eren had partially transformed, his body sticking out of a partial Titan body.

My team, as I had trained them, were at the ready. Petra's kind demeanor had changed to one of fury, ready to cut Eren. Eld was demanding an explanation, Gunther's knuckles were turning white as he gripped his blades.

I couldn't help but feel a bit excited inside, I knew Hange would be thrilled. But kept a calm face as I approached Eren. My team was shocked as I told them to stand down, Eren wasn't a threat.

It didn't take long for Hange to find us, with Moblit in tow. It wasn't surprising Hange burned her hand touching Eren's Titan parts.

She wouldn't stop talking about it I treated her burned hand that night. Despite not caring about titans, I could listen to Hange talk all night.

The day of the expedition arrived, and news of Eren had spread throughout the corps. There was a nervous excitement in the air, many of the new recruits trying to hide their fear. I couldn't blame them. Many of them were going to die brutally at the hands of Annie before the day was done.

I sometimes sit and think about the unfairness of it all. Those who seemed to commit the most awful sins found redemption, get to live out there lives. Not once since Annie had been freed has she ever shown regret or any remorse for the lives she took. A young girl loses her family her village and her savior. Meanwhile the killer enjoys a peaceful life, spending time with her family that was spared. It becomes difficult not to judge sometimes, I know I have committed my own sins. When you are facing the end of the world, does it matter who has the moral high ground?

But, as the years pass, old wounds reopen. Old feelings of resentment return.

-Levi Ackerman

Levi's Journal On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara