Chapter sixteen

Jessamyn's pov

Unfortunately, he wasn't able to come to class today in the lecture room so the only alternative was for him to join in online learning apps where our professor put up a presentation of the work that we would be doing in class letting us have an open discussion based on the theory laws into two teams .For a couple of minutes until it was time to leave for break walking of the lecture hall almost spotting a few of our friends making their way to me in the middle of hallway going to the common first then later we would stop by the ice rink as pulled up one of my backpack shoulders straps on my shoulder dressing in comfort clothes such as black cargo pant, a one off maroon shoulder sleeves top, white air force, maroon jean jacket and a baseball cap. We were listening to our playlist called Lucky charms which was kind of ironic because i used to love having the cereal brand lucky charms so much then i grew out of it.

There were just some thing that you never grew out of for example, whether it was just picking up a hobbies, a sport, a dream career or reading books as i think of it now, anyone can just pick up a book for the first time but it only take a special few of them to get lost into those pages or magic moment of adventure to escape the dreadful obstacles of our reality finding myself getting those exact feeling of an escapism during my time alone knowing that realism or reality would be awaiting for me once the book was finished. My top two escapisms were reading a book or listening to music singing out my heart thinking that I could be the next Celine Dion or famous female singer of the year was one of the periods in my imagination when everything went well for me.

"Jessa, for what it is worth, he is really bummed that he couldn't make it to class today but instead he sent me to be there for you when he couldn't." Said Mason.

I looked up from the book that I was reading on my phone to see that Mason was holding two cups of ice cream in his hands as I took one for myself to eat whilst smiling that Asher had remembered about how I loved munching on ice cream in the cold weather it was a habit without a fuss his friend and I just sat there talking while licking our ice cream which was nice. It made me feel like maybe Mason was like an older brother to me because he didn't judge for it but sat there tolerating all of my ranting about random stuff.

Therefore, a lot of us started talking about others things that they were doing for thanksgiving dinner and then i decided to head over to the ice rink the same place where I started skating again so that i could release my mind from stress to be at ease to escape from all those thoughts.

"Thank you all for cheering me up and Mason." I paused to pull him in for an unexpected hug which he reciprocated well and then proceeded to say. "I would pay you back for the delicious ice cream, okay."

Quickly i headed out of the common area to exit the university building here walking towards the Main Street just around the corner from where the rink was opened today, i walked up past the stairs to main entrance of the stadium thinking to myself that i should probably go check on my skating partner who was sitting there at the hockey house and suddenly i saw him sitting down in the front row seat causing me to jump from a fright furthermore, i placed my hand on my chest to try to calm my racing heartbeat breathing in relief although, i was unable to understand what was he doing here especially with the deal of instructions that that doctor had given him.

There he was though with his smirk on his lips patting a place to sit next to him as if the doctor's rules didn't apply to him at all but I could feel his eyes on me within seconds after I had known what he was going to say next or maybe even I was just overthinking everything else.
His smile didn't quite seem to match his eyes when I took a step closer to him, which I felt like instantly understood what he was going through in this moment being able to relate to the fact that he had to sit out a couple of hockey practices to regain his strength and health again.

"Aww, cheers up Grumpy Ash, I understand what you're going through," I said playfully to him as I nudged him on the shoulder.

He took a get better soon card out of my hand right after he had finished reading it and placed it in his bag next he goes clasped his hand in mine like something straight out of a movie with this look in his eyes that I was the only one who could somehow make all of his problems disappeared whenever I was around him.

And all I could think about was how hard it was for him not to be out on the hockey field playing with his teammates even though the other parts of my mind were thinking about how grateful I was that he didn't get too seriously injured. I wanted to help him get better but honestly I would rather stay here with him talking for ages and then run my hand through his soft silky hair on his head because that's how he was going to relax with my touch for now.

"Please tell me, that it gets better from here and I won't be a jacked potato anymore." he sighed miserably to me.

Sometimes I have realized that whenever we were alone he showed his softie baby panda side to me whereas it was a much different types of story when he was with his friends like they would act all macho men afraid of showing their vulnerability to the world being a Jacked around six foot five or more hockey jock revealed that what he was actually like to me.

Mainly I love it that way we can be able to be ourselves around each other as I decided that I would go to his family thanksgiving a day early before my mum's thanksgiving knowing my little sister was going to like him so was my mom. I was so ready to spread my festival cheers to the world and I understood that the Rocky legend was important for him to lead his team to victory.

After all being a legacy of a famous hockey player Jackson Beckett must have been hard on himself for trying to be known for his own achievement even though he and his father had a rocky and very icy father to son relationship, now that his mind was off hockey with his teasing smirk on his face as he started to remembered what happened yesterday in the hospital about my lie to practically nearly being married to him.

"Trust me it will get better soon enough and you'll be in your own element too."I said truthfully to him.

Champions or not, there were so many things that make our campus hockey team Legend other than their name such as their passion, their drives, spirts, determination, love of the sports, the adrenaline that their fans gets pumping their veins after having attending and watching all of their games including the hockey who felt that crazy rush of excitement having their support of their fans cheering their names of every individuals players on the team because this sports were more than just the players on the team, the sportsmanship but having people of all different cultural backgrounds, ethnicity, genders or ages come together as one to support their favorite teams. Henceforth I even sound like both my dad and uncle Craig right now explaining the entire reason why this sport was celebrated or at least why half of the population of this planet love it so much.

"So, Burkey, I have completely no idea that you wanted to be a Beckett so badly." he said jokingly to me with a slight wince as he experience some sort of pain in his head.

Quite frankly, i stopped myself from giggling at his jacked potato joke instead using jacket, he used a played on word gesturing toward his torso as we were joking around choosing a couple of song to go on our playlist added Adore you by Harry styles, Rise up by Andrea Day, Scars to your beautiful by Alessia Clara, two Imagine Dragons song called Whatever it takes, Believer , Tempo bt Lizzo ft Missy Eliott and lastly, A sky full of stars by by Coldplay. We were more than our skills or future careers full of so much potential to fulfill brilliant achievement in life.

"Well, it is honestly good to see that you still haven't lost your sense of humor,"I said with a small smile.

My hair looked pretty good today despite it being up in a messy bun that was hold by a hair clip as I decided to redo my messy bun after it was hurting my scalp too much for the extra tightness even though the slight scar on the back of my head wasn't noticeable until I had felt it underneath my fingertips reminding myself how lucky I was to be alive today with a dose of appreciation for the medical treatment team for their service the NHS heroes.

We walked out the ice rink stadium moving into the car park as a slick black Mercedes Benz arrived right in front of us to sound of Mason, and Holden in a car playing Mercy by Shawn Mendes while, Asher opened the car door for me and then we sat in car for a long period of time on the journey back to campus then they drove him back to the hockey house.

He whispered softly into my ear and my hand "I'm always happy whenever I'm with you, love."

"We're scars until we're beautiful." I sang low to myself.