Chapter eighteen

Asher's pov

Thanksgiving was today which usually doesn't always go to plan especially when my dad keeps on comparing my performance out in the ice rink to his old days. Every single year, we would talk about sports and nothing else applying the same pressure on to me to continued on his legacy it was unlike my father to show any emotions with his stone cold heart of his which made me feel instantly sympathy for his fiance for staying in their relationship relationship like that.

The only reason why I decided to go back home for the holidays even though it doesn't feel like home anymore and it was more like an empty house to me because Invited Jessasmyn over here to make tonight become a lot easier or better than last year since whenever she was around me everything changed so quickly it felt better making it additionally bearable to avoid they Same old confiscated feeling when I feel like I just simply couldn't breathe.

And then I finished driving her to my parent's house hoping that for all of our sakes that tonight goes reasonably great as I won't be putting up with how my dad made every entire conversation about himself.

"I made my pineapple upside cake but please tell me that nobody else is allergic to pineapple?" she asked me slightly overthinking again.

She turned around in her car seat facing me as she continues to rant cutely about how pineapple was the first best fruit in the world, talking about how she does like bananas or kiwis due to something that might have happened to her in the past. We were parked right outside of my house however, I didn't have the heart to tell her since I didn't want her to stop talking incessantly about pineapples, not wanting to break my gaze off of her beautiful face at all until my younger brother Andy. Immediately after, he was running to my car to greet our guest stopped and stares at Burkey totally having a hard time with looking away from her.

Therefore, I think that he might have a crush on her which I can completely understand by the way seeing how drop-dead gorgeous she was. She was one of the smartest girls that I knew as well as brave too.

"No, all of them aren't allergic to pineapple." I tapped on my car window lightly to try to get my brother's attention and then I said "Look like you have got another secret admirer, Burkey."

As it turned out, I wasn't the only one who was falling for her to be honest with you, she might've not known it yet but she was definitely my lucky charm and I wasn't going to share her with this world so anything else my dad would like to throw at us then I would regardless be there to be able to help shield all the hurt or sadness away from her being the world purest flower although she looked at her left as she laughed softly at my little brother Andy which she has finds adorable and here was me thinking that I might have some competition on my hands.

Shortly after, we went inside the house. I wasn't able to hear the end of it from my brother Andy who kept complimenting her so I was pretty much glad that there was an age gap between the two of them and she doesn't even know what power she has over me. We all went into the kitchen seeing my dad's fiance Laureen set up the dining room table while my dad didn't even help her as I pulled out a chair for Burkey to sit down at the table slowly looking over towards my brother Andy who shrugged his shoulders and then goes to sit down the other side of my flower.

"I think it is adorable that your younger brother has a crush on me," she whispered into my ears to me.

No one else got to see behind the walls of this house as far as I know other people think that I was born lucky to have a hockey legend as a dad regardless of none of them knows what it was like growing up to become more than others increasing expectations of my life so whenever people compared me to my father I think it was an insult because I was nothing like that monster acting like he was the only one who lost my mom, the angel that was always been there for me. We both walked into the kitchen hands in hand but my flower made everything all worth it.