Chapter 28: Racing Ring.

Three years ago.

Jace's POV

I don't think any guy has ever been in a position where they have to ask their girlfriend if she's cool with them fake dating another girl.

I feel bad for Olivia, I feel bad that I'm so determined to do this for a girl who's not Olivia.

I'm supposed to be on my way to the racing ring right now but I felt like dropping by Olivia's house to ask her how she felt about the whole situation.

But now that I'm here, sitting on her bed and watching her do her homework while humming to a song that's playing in her room, I just keep thinking that she deserves someone better than me.

I know, I know, I literally just asked her to be my girlfriend but I've put myself in her shoes and the thought of her being public with someone else, someone as hot as Cass, that thought makes me jealous as hell.

She peeks over her shoulder and catches me staring absentmindedly, her red lips stretch into a warm smile and she spins her chair around, giving me a playful suspicious look.

"What are you thinking about?" She questions.

"I have to ask you something." I go straight to the point.

"Ask away." She leans back in her chair.

Where do I even start?

I scratch my head while constructing a sentence that won't make things more awkward than they already are.

"Did it...... bother you when you saw me leaving the cafeteria with Cass?" I start there.

She doesn't give me an immediate answer or a reaction that could give me an answer,  she lifts her thumb to her lips and bites on her nail, stalling.

"No." She finally responds but I notice that she averted her gaze while saying that no.

"No? How come?" I feel a little surprised either way.

"Jace, I haven't been in a lot of relationships but I know that every relationship has to have this little thing called trust." She says, confidently.

I purse my lips, nodding my head even though I'm completely disagreeing with her in my mind, not about the trust thing but the trusting me thing, not because I'm going to break her trust or anything but because she doesn't know me well enough to trust me yet.

She brings herself to her feet and walks over to me, she sits beside me and holds my hand in hers. We smile at each other.

"I trust you, Jace, I know Cassandra Richardson looks like the type of girl that steals boyfriends but I trust you and that's all that matters." She says, her words wipe my smile away.

This is exactly what Cass was talking about, society labels her type with all sorts of different names and my girlfriend plays a part in that society.

"She's not the type of girl that steals boyfriends, Liv." I defend, "Don't judge her based off of her looks, that's messed up." I say coldly.

"Okay, geez, sorry." She laughs.

"You're not but that's okay." I stand, looking down at her, "Should I come check on you after the race?" I ask, she immediately nods and I start walking towards her door.

"I'm sorry I bad mouthed your friend." She says behind me, I sigh, turning around to look at her again.

"Liv, she and I are pretending to be in a relationship, it helps her with her social media stuff and I wanna help her because she helped me but I swear on my life, I won't do it if you don't want me to, so I'll ask again, are you good with all this?" I ask in a serious tone.