6 - Unexpectedly Meeting Ex-Boyfriend

The next day, when I woke up, I found that Brian had made breakfast for me.

It was a slightly burnt fried egg and a bowl of cereal with milk, which he forgot to put sugar in.

Looking at his hopeful eyes, I mustered up the courage to swallow the food and then grabbed a game console from the drawer and tossed it to him, saying, "You can play for a while, I'm going out to buy groceries."

Brian quickly responded, "I'll go with you!"

I sighed and rubbed my forehead.

He really is so clingy.

Brian looked at me with a pitiful expression and asked, "Amelia, don't you want to take me with you?"

"Sure, why not?" I gave in. "You can help me carry the stuff."

"Great!" Brian happily jumped up from the sofa, unaware that I wasn't asking him to carry things, but to accompany me.

Brian and I were pushing the cart in the supermarket when I was picking out milk in front of the shelves. Suddenly, a familiar voice mixed with a hint of surprise came to my ears, saying, "Amelia?"

I paused and turned my head, and sure enough, I saw a familiar face, handsome with affectionate eyes.

It was James, my ex-boyfriend from my graduate school days.

Compared to Brian, the entanglement between James and me was much more complicated. We had sincerely invested in each other and played games full of tension like adults.

On the day we broke up, James kissed my cheek and smiled coldly, saying, "Amelia, you won't find a second person who loves you as much as I do."

I pushed him away and smiled gently, saying, "I know, but we both love ourselves more."

James and I met because of a part-time job.At that time, I was worried about next month's living expenses and my packed schedule. 

Since I started college, my parents no longer took care of me, and I had to handle all my living expenses on my own.

However, after switching to a smaller major, the academic pressure became even more intense. Juggling part-time jobs and exams almost drove me crazy. 

To make matters worse, I was fired by two families I was tutoring for at the same time.

That's when James appeared.

He offered to pay me a price much higher than the market average to tutor his younger sister who was in her first year of high school.

That Christmas, fueled by alcohol, James and I ended up in bed together.

The dim and ambiguous lighting in the hotel room, as he looked at me, his eyes filled with a dark desire.

I reached out and hooked my hand around his neck, lightly laughing, "Are we even now?""Where is it that easy?" 

He snorted lightly, lowered his head to nibble on my neck, and hoarsely said, "Amelia, let's give it a try."

I have started dating James.

He does treat me well, never forgetting to give me expensive gifts on every occasion.

I believe he likes me, but this kind of liking is built on the condition that it doesn't affect his own life.

He can pay a high price to hire me as a tutor for his sister, but he can't accept me always being in the spotlight.