10 - Escalating Workplace Harassment

Brian started inviting me out frequently.

Watching movies, visiting the oceanarium, taking photos on the silly carousel in the amusement park, standing behind the little girl in the pink princess dress for half an hour just to buy a rainbow-colored cotton candy.

I actually wanted to refuse every time, but I always succumbed to Brian's bright, expectant eyes.

After all, it's all acting, so why not make it more realistic?

That's how I convinced myself in my mind.

And soon enough, I found out why James said what he did that night.

There were changes in ownership, company mergers, and James took over the big project we were originally collaborating with Yongchang on, becoming one of the new people in charge on the other side.

Brian, however, stubbornly clung to me, acting cute and relying on me until the morning of the training day, when he hurriedly left to meet up with the others at school."

The other side had already said early on that they would send a representative over to negotiate face-to-face, so I stayed up late for several nights to prepare the proposal. 

However, when the conference room door was pushed open, among the people who walked in, the one leading them was James. 

He looked at me from a few steps away and gave me a faint smile. A chilling sensation surged from the bottom of my heart. 

But I knew very well that he wanted to see me panicked and helpless. It was as if, no matter what, whether together or apart, I couldn't escape his control.

Just like Anthony. 

So I straightened my back, kept a calm expression, and simply smiled politely as I greeted, 'Long time no see, Mr. Zhou.' 

Anthony immediately glanced over and asked, 'Did Xiao Qin and Manager Zhou know each other before?'"

"I said with a smile, 'I and Mr. Zhou were college classmates. He was a year ahead of me, so he's my senior.'

Anthony, playing with the jade ring on his hand, smiled and said, 'Oh, I see. That's quite a coincidence. I'm sure today's meeting will go smoothly then, right?'

I chaired the entire meeting and provided a detailed update on the project's progress and the most urgent needs at the moment.

In the end, James was the first to praise, 'Amelia, you're becoming more and more excellent. I knew back in school that your work abilities were outstanding.'

I looked at him, still smiling politely, but didn't say anything.

I sensed there was more to his words, so I decided not to pursue the matter.

Anthony glanced at James, then looked at me, appearing deep in thought."

Because the meeting went well, Anthony asked his secretary to make arrangements and invited James and me to dinner that evening.

 James asked, "Amelia, would you like to come too?" I wanted to refuse, but Anthony's gaze was fixed on me, sharp as an eagle, as if he could see through all my pretenses. 

I remained calm and smiled, saying, "Of course I'll come, after all, I'm mainly responsible for this project." 

The hotel the secretary booked wasn't too far, we could have walked there, but even so, Anthony insisted on driving. 

Due to our "senior and junior" relationship, James naturally got into my car."

He started laughing as soon as he got in the car, a hint of satisfaction in his eyes. 'Amelia, it seems Anthony doesn't know about your relationship with his son!'