13 - He just took out the wedding-ring, and then my boss appeared....

She said this halfway and left the rest unsaid, leaving many thoughts to ponder. 

The fact that my parents planned to sell me to an old bachelor for a dowry of $500,000 was something I had only mentioned to James before, but I didn't expect him to tell Evelyn.

I also laughed and said, 'Little sister, you're overthinking. It was me who kicked your brother because he didn't follow the rules and had a corrupt moral compass. 

When he was with me, he even went on blind dates. 

As for whether I will get married or how much dowry I will receive, it has nothing to do with your family.'"

"Amelia, are you angry?" Evelyn tilted her head and looked at me, seemingly aggrieved. 

"I'm just concerned about you. After all, my brother introduced you to me as a tutor, and you taught me for a long time."

Brian couldn't take it anymore and furrowed his brows. 

He said, "Evelyn, can you leave if you have nothing to do? I want to have a word with my girlfriend, and you're in the way standing here."

Evelyn widened her eyes and looked at him, her smile freezing instantly.

Brian saw that she didn't react much, grew impatient, took my hand, and led me straight down the stands to the row of chairs by the edge of the field. 

There were several substitute players sitting there, as well as Brian's teammates, many of whom I had seen before.

When they saw Brian pulling me over, they all smiled, and one of them even whistled while raising an eyebrow.

Brian said, 'Amelia, wait for me here. I'll come find you after the second half.'

I raised an eyebrow and said, 'So you invite a little girl to watch the game and then leave her all alone?'"

"Who?" Brian hesitated for a moment, following my gaze and suddenly realizing, 

"You mean Evelyn? Amelia, I didn't invite her. We bumped into each other at the library entrance and she said she wanted to come watch me play. I told her it's up to her. Amelia, are you upset? I'll make sure she doesn't come next time, okay?"

I laughed and patted his hand, saying, "Sweetheart, this gymnasium isn't yours alone. Why should you decide whether she can come or not?"

Brian looked at me, wanting to say something, but the referee blew the whistle from the sidelines.

The second half began.

I sat in the chair, resting my chin on my hands, watching him play.

Brian would instinctively turn his head every time he scored a goal, and in the midst of the enthusiastic cheers from the audience behind him, he would find my eyes and give me a sincere and radiant smile.

Amidst the noise, I could hear the sound of my own heartbeat clearly.

After the game, he immediately ran back to me, his eyes shining brightly as he looked at me and said, "Amelia, we won! Let's go eat!"

I treated Brian's teammates to a meal at a hot pot restaurant near the school gate.

A group of young boys full of youthfulness, they would compete to grab food from the pot, tease each other, but also carefully abide by the boundaries and limits of their interactions, so as not to offend anyone.

This was a life experience I had never encountered before.

After meeting Brian, it felt like bit by bit, all the missing pieces from my past were being filled