Chapter 2

"Damn girl, you look exhausted. What time did you go to bed?" Gracie asked Betty the next morning.

It was 7:30 am and Betty was laying her head on the kitchen table. She was still in her pajamas and her hair was still a mess. She had stayed up till 2 am last night listening to Boygenius. She had first started with the singles and then listened to the EP. Betty listened to the EP years ago when it first came out because she was still with Julien at that point. Listening to it over again brought back strong emotions.

Julien had played the EP for Betty a couple of months before it was released. It was cute, Julien was sitting on the couch with Betty snuggled up close to her. Julien's laptop sat on the coffee table as she pressed play, allowing the music to fill the apartment. Betty remembers feeling so many emotions the first time she listened. Julien had briefly explained what each song meant, but Betty figured out most of it on her own just based on the lyrics.

"Huh?" Betty said, lifting her head from the table to look at Gracie. She had zoned out. Memories of Julien flooded her thoughts.

Gracie laughed a bit. "I asked what time you went to bed. You look exhausted."

"2 am." Betty said as she rubbed her eyes.

Gracie cocked an eyebrow at her friend. She took a sip of her coffee, continuing to keep her gaze on her friend.

"I was up late reading again." Betty lied. Gracie had caught Betty up late at night reading before, so it seemed like a believable lie.

Gracie shook her head with a laugh. "I know you love your books, but you need your beauty sleep."

Betty nodded in agreement, and she rubbed her eyes. "I know, I just got hooked in."

Gracie nodded and took another sip of her coffee. "Well, you should probably get ready for work. I have an interview to get to soon." Gracie said softly, standing up herself.

Betty nodded and stood up as well, making her way into her room. Her bed was unmade still but she didn't have the motivation to make it. After putting on a pair of baggy jeans and an oversized sweatshirt, Betty brushed her hair out. She didn't bother to put on any makeup since she was already running late.

After slipping on her shoes and coat, Betty yelled a quick goodbye to Gracie before heading off to work.

"Well, look who's late today. I guess being on time was a one-day streak." Cory teased as Betty hurried inside.

She laughed a bit and headed into the back to take off her coat and set down her bag. She quickly hurried up front to stand behind the counter.

"Thanks for covering my ass again," Betty said to Cory. He was always getting to work early because he was used to Betty being late daily.

He shook his head with a laugh and nodded. "It's no problem. But I think you owe me a coffee." He said with a grin.

Betty laughed and nodded. "Of course. You want to go after our shift today?" The two of them got out at 4 pm.

Cory nodded with a smile. "Sounds like a plan."

Throughout her shift, Betty found herself humming Not Strong Enough by Boygenius while she straightened up the books. Cory was helping a customer and as soon as they left, he came up from behind Betty and scared the shit out of her.

"Cory! What the hell!?" Betty said in an annoyed tone, her hand still clutching her chest from the jump scare.

Cory laughed, running a hand through his messy hair. "Okay, I had to. You were over here in la-la land."

Betty's cheeks were a light shade of pink and she shook her head with a laugh. She felt sort of embarrassed that Cory caught her humming.

"So..what were you humming over here?" Cory asked curiously, leaning against the bookshelf.