Chapter 4

Betty couldn't get over the fact that her old friend Phoebe was standing right in front of her. It almost didn't feel real.

She looked beautiful. She was wearing a black turtleneck under a short black denim dress with thin black tights. Her hair was styled in two little braids, and she was wearing light makeup with a dark lip.

Betty stood up and wrapped her arms around Phoebe, causing her to chuckle as she hugged her back. Phoebe's embrace felt warm and comforting, something Betty had truly missed.

"It's been so long." Betty said softly. Pulling back to look at her.

Phoebe smiled with a nod. "It truly has."

The two of them sat down at the table, Betty glanced to the stage to see Cory performing before turning her attention back to Phoebe. She smiled at Betty and then glanced at the stage for a moment.

"Is he your friend?" Phoebe asked, turning to look at Betty again.

She nodded with a soft laugh. "Yup. That's my friend Cory. Music's his side hustle."

Phoebe nodded with a smile. "He's got a good voice. He's also got a sick guitar."

Betty nodded and turned her attention to the small stage to watch Cory. His eyes shut as he strummed his guitar and sang. He truly looked like he was in his own world. Lost in the music. This truly was his passion.

The two of them sat there and watched Cory perform. Betty smiled as she watched and Phoebe leaned back in her chair, also smiling a bit.

Once Cory had finished, he got off stage and put his guitar away, before heading in the direction of the table that Phoebe and Betty were sitting at. Cory glanced up and the second his eyes landed on Phoebes; he froze.

Betty laughed a bit at Cory's reaction. "Cory? You good there bud?" She asked softly.

Cory shook his head, still standing there. "Am I dreaming, or is Phoebe fucking Bridgers in front of me?"

Phoebe laughed, and stood up, putting her hand out to shake Cory's. "I'm Phoebe." She said with a smile.

Cory blinked for a moment before shaking her hand. "Cory."

Betty watched the interaction with amusement in her eyes. It was pretty funny watching Cory be star-struck by Phoebe. He had mentioned before that he liked her music but had never told Betty how much of a fan he truly was.

"I love you and your music." Cory blurted out to Phoebe. He was now sitting next to her on the opposite side of the table from Betty.

Phoebe smiled and let out a soft laugh. "Well, I'm flattered. I'm glad you like my music. You have an amazing voice by the way."

Cory's eyes looked like they were going to pop out of his head when Phoebe complimented his voice. Betty smiled and Phoebe turned to look at her, giving her a small smile. Cory's eyes darted back and forth between the two before he blurted out "Wait- you two know each other!?"

Betty and Phoebe nodded. Betty scratched the back of her neck a bit as she glanced up at Cory.

"Old friends." Phoebe said with a smile.

Cory gave Betty a look that meant he wanted to know all the details later. Betty smiled nervously before turning her attention back to Phoebe.

"So, how have you been?" Betty asked Phoebe.

"Busy. Very busy. But it's good, I like to be productive."

Betty nodded. Phoebe had always been that way since she met her. Trying to find at least something small to do each day. Even when she wasn't touring or making new music.