11. Breakfast

Minji discreetly peaked from the foot entrance, couldn't believe Hanni is really there.

From her view in the hallway, Minji can see Hanni's back. She pulled away her sleeve to look at her wristwatch. It's only 7:07am. She wonders what time Hanni arrived.

She peeked through the door again, observing Hanni who is browsing something on the internet. She's wearing a black blouse and her hair isn't tied today.

Minji sighed. She thinks she could do that all day without complaint, just looking at Hanni's back and observing her like that.

Hanni moved to her left to check on something. Minji immediately hid beside the door, afraid she'll get caught peeking.

Minji checked the time. It's already 7:11am. She'll be dead if Hanni doesn't see her by 7:15am.

She entered the door slowly, tiptoeing. Although she knows her sneakers won't make any annoying sounds on the carpeted floor, she's still afraid to create anything that will catch Hanni's attention. The idea of being alone with Hanni today somehow frightens her. She'd love to spend time with Hanni but she doesn't know how to start a conversation.

"And what do you think you're doing?" Hanni's irritated tone echoed.

Minji turned nervously. "Uh... hi..."

"Did it not occur to you that I can hear every movement you make? It's just the two of us here."

"Uh... yeah... well..."

"It's almost 7:15 now, how long are you planning to make me wait?"

"Uhh... I'm just dropping my things off at my station..."

"Make it quick."

"Yes, ma'am!" Minji hurried to her department.

The pantry looks more vibrant today because no one is there yet to disturb their little date. They settled on one table and sat facing each other.

"Hmm, what did you bring today?" asked Minji, curiously looking at the lunchbox in front of her.

"My mom prepared jajangmyeon and omelet." Hanni opened the covers.

"Woooow! I'm so famished now!" Minji clapped.

"I'm hungry too. I hope you'll like it."

Minji picked up one omelet with her fork. She raised her eyebrows after a bite. "Mmm, this is good! Your mom sure knows how to cook."

"Now, that's what you call a real breakfast."

"How about you, do you cook?" asked Minji as she resumes eating.

Hanni picked something for herself too. "A bit, but I find it tiring sometimes. Was never a fan of recipe books."

"Why?"

"I don't know. I just don't enjoy cooking. It's too boring for me."

"You don't have plans of cooking for future hubby?"

"Well, I might change my mind. I don't know yet. But right now, I really don't want to," said Hanni, taking another bite of the food. "I always imagined myself being paired with someone who loves to cook."

Minji abruptly stopped whatever she's doing and stared at Hanni.

"What?" asked Hanni.

"I just... I just love the food." Minji resumes eating. "So, it's the end of the year this weekend. What are your plans?"

"Our usual routine is to visit dad's grave in the morning and then stay at my cousin's place for the New Year's Eve celebration."

"Oh, really? I didn't know that your dad..." Minji trailed off.