45. Friends

"So, you're saying that you two got back together?" asked Hanni before sipping from her glass of mango juice.

"Yeah. Officially together again." Jake smiled as he twirled the pasta in his fork. "Isn't it funny how she only realized that four months after the breakup?"

"Maybe she just got confused? At least the breakup made her realize how much you mean to her.."

"It did. And honestly, she panicked a little after she found out from Dad I was going out with you." Jake chuckled.

"Should I hide now?"

"Don't worry. She doesn't kill. But yeah, she tortures."

"Ooh. Scary." Hanni shuddered. Jake laughed again. "On a serious note tho, I'm happy for you."

"Thank you." Jake lightly bowed. "But you know what, I realized something just now. The break up was hard for me, yes, but I am happy it happened."

Hanni folded her arms on the table. "And why is that?"

"If Karina didn't break up with me, I don't think we'll get closer," said Jake. "Being friends with you is a breakup retribution I'm glad happened."

Hanni gave him a warm smile. Although a lot of things have been troubling her lately, Jake is one of those few people who give her joy from time to time.

"I'm thankful to have you as a friend too," she said.

Jake went back to his food. "How about you, how's he?"

Hanni was glad that she didn't choke on her food. Because the truth is, she's not okay.

She never got the chance to talk to Minji towards the end of the week because Yunjin was very diligent to drive her and pick her up. Hanni didn't even bother to ask Minji out over the weekend because she remembered how Yunjin told Sanielle, when they all got together in the elevator, about her weekend plans with Minji.

Hanni isn't sure how it happened. It's like she doesn't exist in Minji's world anymore, and it's killing her. She was glad that Jake asked her out today because she was gloomy all day in her room.

"It's hopeless, Jake," said Hanni, absently tapping the tip of her fork on her plate.

"Hmm? How come? What happened?"

"Everything is just too complicated now, more complicated than you can imagine."

"I don't mean to intervene but I think I know what your real problem is," said Jake, pausing a little while waiting for Hanni to look up to him. "It's that Minji, right?"

Hanni's chest pounded. "H-how--"

"Well, anyone can notice the closeness. But only the keen ones can tell that there is something going on between the two of you."

"Oh." Hanni looked down, feeling shy.

"She's the one with you in Haeundae, right?" asked Jake, getting a nod from Hanni. "She's the one you were talking to in the café that Friday night too, right?"

Hanni nodded again. "I'm sorry. I was afraid to tell you because I thought you'd look down on me."

"Why would I do that? I was just waiting for you to tell it to me," said Jake sincerely. "And why are you keeping everything bottled until now? Do you want to make yourself go crazy?"

"You know it's not as easy as what you're having with Karina."

"I know. But you can't keep yourself hurting like that. Is this because of your mom?"

Hanni exhaled. "There's no way she will accept it."

"Maybe you and Minji could work it out? Have you talked to her about it?"