40. Lunch

It was Friday noon. Hanni, Danielle, and Sunoo were going down for lunch.

"Ms. Hanni." The male security guard approached as they were heading to the elevator area. "I was about to call you. A visitor of yours just came in."

Not expecting anyone to visit her, Hanni whipped her head to the reception area only to see Jake sitting there, smiling at her.

"What is he doing here?" Hanni gritted her teeth.

"What's the matter?" asked Danielle, noticing her friend's turmoil. She followed Hanni's line of sight and saw a slender guy already approaching them.

"Hey..." he said.

"Oh my gosh, a hottie," Sunoo whispered.

Hanni elbowed Sunoo subtly. "Jake, it's a surprise to see you here."

"Sorry for coming here unannounced." He scratched his nape. "I had a meeting just around the corner and thought of inviting you out for lunch."

"It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Danielle." Danielle stretched her hand out for a shake. "And this is Sunoo. We're Hanni's most trusted friends."

"Jake," said Jake. "Nice to meet you."

Hanni massaged her temples.

"Pleasure's all ours." Sunoo shook Jake's hand. "Didn't know Hanni here is keeping a friend like you from us, huh?"

Jake chuckled.

Hanni had an eerie feeling she needed to flee the area soon. She turned to her colleagues.

"So, um, I can't join you guys for lunch. I'll see you later then."

"Why don't we all go together?" suggested Jake. "It'll be unkind for me to steal you away from your friends when you guys had already planned something."

"Yeah. We should go altogether. The more the merrier, right?" said Danielle. "Don't worry. We won't disturb your little date."

Hanni glared at Danielle before turning to Jake. "Are you sure you're comfortable with that?"

"Yeah. Don't worry. It seems you have cool friends here."

Sunoo playfully hit Jake's arm. "I like him, Hanni. I like him."

Hanni massaged her head again, already regretting she told Jake where she's working. She looked around the area to make sure that a certain individual isn't passing by at the moment.

"Okay. Let's go."

Hanni pushed the elevator button and felt relieved when the lift opened. She hurried inside, making sure to close the doors right away.

"Hold it! Hold it!" Hyein was hurrying to catch the elevator, putting her hand out to stop the doors.

Hanni felt cascades of ice-cold water being poured over her when Minji and Niki followed Hyein in.

Then the elevator door closed.

"Minji!" Sunoo exclaimed. "I thought you guys are staying in the pantry?"

Minji turned around. "Hyein changed her mind for the fifth time and decided to go down instead." Then she noticed Hanni. "Oh. Hey."

"Hey." Hanni waved a little.

"Oh. have you met Hanni's friend?" said Danielle. "He's joining us for lunch. You guys should join us too."

Hanni felt like she wanted to disappear from where she's standing when Minji turned to look at Jake.

"Hi, I'm Jake." He offered his hand.

Minji shook his hand. "Minji."

Hanni closed her eyes and slumped against the wall as Hyein and Niki introduced themselves and agreed to join in for lunch.