44. Late

Hanni hasn't moved an inch from that couch since came home.

The entire place is quiet and the only thing she can hear is her own breathing.

'I will make her forget you.'

The conversation with Yunjin was cut short after Wonyoung and Danielle arrived. Hanni wasn't able to find an opportunity to talk to Minji after that.

And now that she's home, Yunjin's words continue to haunt her.

Hanni closed her eyes and furrowed her brows.

She should be happy, right? She should be happy knowing someone will be with Minji because Hanni won't be able to stand up for her.

But why is Hanni feeling distressed?

It would have been easier if it's one-sided--if Hanni's the only one having these feelings. But it's not like that. Yunjin just told her what she has doubted all along: Minji is serious about her.

But what would she do now? Hanni can't decide yet but doesn't want to hurt Minji anymore. She knows she can't pick Minji, but she doesn't want to let her go either. Selfish it may seem, but it is the exact reason for her confusion.

What's hurting her more is the fact that Minji obviously feels comfortable around Yunjin. Hanni knows if she won't make a move anytime soon, Yunjin will surely be able to replace her.

Hanni is walking towards the lift when she spotted two familiar figures waiting there.

She smiled at the sight, knowing the back she's looking at belongs to Minji. However, her smile faded as guilt strikes her again when she saw the crutch on Minji's right hand.

Wonyoung noticed her. "Hello there, beautiful!"

"Hello there, handsome," she greeted. "Getting lost here this early, huh?"

"Best friend duties." Wonyoung pointed at Minji. "Can't drive."

"Well, isn't that sweet of you?" Hanni turned and playfully nudged Minji. "Good morning."

Minji glanced at her and forced a smile. "Morning." She turned away after, looking at the floor signal.

Hanni took it in her mental notepad. Minji didn't completely ignore her, but something's still off.

Still, it's progress.

Hanni went back to Wonyoung. "Where's your girlfriend?"

"She went ahead of us. I had to pick this brat here first," said Wonyoung, lightly punching Minji who responded with a harder nudge. Wonyoung laughed. "Well, since Hanni's here, I better go ahead. Could you assist her for me, Hanni?"

Hanni unconsciously brought a hand to her chest, emotionally unprepared to be alone with Minji.

"Y-yeah. Sure."

"Don't sweat it. I can handle myself," said Minji. She turned to Wonyoung and punched her. "And don't think of me as a weakling!"

Wonyoung stepped backward to keep a distance from the attacker who's seriously throwing her punches. "I better go now, Hanni, before someone here bruises me."

Hanni chuckled. "Okay. You take care."

Wonyoung politely bowed at Hanni before turning to Minji. "Dude, I'll pick you up later. Okay?"

"Go already, will you," said Minji, pretending to be annoyed. She looked back at the floor signal, tapping her crutch on the floor.

Hanni smiled. It's just now that she admitted to herself that Minji's mere presence is giving her solace.