15

*Maisey's Pov*

I did it. I fought them all.

When people say suprise, they normally mean something fun especially if you've just won something. I didn't expect to get attacked. That's more of a shock than a surprise. No wonder the last kid begged me not to hit him.

But he also told me something.

"They're watching."

If that doesn't make your skin crawl then I don't know what does because that's fucking terrifying. Also, who says that in the middle of a fight surrounded by people. Of course they're watching, they paid to watch us.

Unless he didn't mean them.

His voice shook with evey word he spoke but he tried to be brave and warn me. What if it was a test to see how good I was?

Oh no.

"Hey, you did good, kid." Said Frank as he passed me a sandwich from Bart's.

"Thanks. It felt good to be back." I lied as he gave me a toothy grin.

"Where were you? Getting drunk?"

"No. I just needed some time to rest and think. I was thinking of giving up, you know?"

"Hm. Anyway, you've got a choice to make."

Looking up at him, I pulled a face to show my confusion as he took a sip of his drink and pulled into a car park. I'd take anything else over a beating right now.

"You have a choice, you can either save 15 children or I'll give $1500 to Sarah to spend on groceries."

Putting my feet up on the dashboard, I debated my choices and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't hard. I did this for the other children, not for my group home but it's food.

"15 children."

"You sure?" He asked as he pulled a face, clearly shocked at what I had chosen.

"Yeah."

I was in charge of the selection process, which in my opinion is the hardest part. I have to choose from 200 children what ones to save and what ones have to keep fighting. This time, I kept the age range the same and stuck with children who were six years old but there were only ten of them so the other five I chose were older.

Once I had chosen, I hugged Muai, the guy that sorts through the selection process. It wasn't a proper hug it was one of those bro hugs that the guys do.

Frank talked to some of his mates while I sorted out fifteen different boxes so the kids would be safe on their travels. They get a plane ticket and are taken out of Chicago. Maui doesn't tell me or Frank where but I trust him. The last couple of times I've been here he hasn't been around and Frank's just shrugged it off.

"Done." He said as we headed to the car.

"Where's my cut?" I asked him.

"Oh no. I'm not stupid, Maze. You thought you could win in both options. I give you your cut and you pay for the groceries. No. You made your decision. Next time, don't miss fifteen fights."