Chapter 2 - Old ties

I took a glance at the beautiful brunette sitting next to me in my truck, who just introduced herself as Eloise

I took a glance at the beautiful brunette sitting next to me in my truck, who just introduced herself as Eloise. She's definitely new in town. I would remember those beautiful blue eyes any day.

She was dressed in shorts and a hoodie. She'd probably traveled quite a bit judging by the slight dark circles under her eyes or maybe those were just from crying. A beautiful woman like her didn't deserve to be sad.

"You can rest your eyes for a bit if you want. We'll only be at my mother's inn in about 20 minutes." I broke the silence. She didn't even argue and rested her head on the headrest and closed her eyes. Why was a gorgeous woman like her traveling so far alone?

***

We arrived at Blue Haven Inn, my mother's inn, a few minutes later. I gently touched her shoulder to wake her up and she jolted awake. She had a sad faraway look in her eyes. I wanted to know what could cause such a look in a gorgeous woman's eyes who probably deserved the world.

"Here we are." I grunted. Driving a stranger even a pretty stranger to my mother's inn was not on my to-do list for today. I would love to be at home alone by now but sometimes you got to do the right thing.

We both climbed out of my truck. Our shoes hit the gravel road. I unloaded my truck and carried her bags with both hands.

"I can take that." She said from behind me. I grunted and carried on walking. "Okay then." I heard her say from behind me. My lips lifted up slightly at the corners. Barely a smile. I couldn't let my grumpy reputation go to waste with just a few interactions with Eloise.

Eloise was exhausted and most definitely not going to carry these heavy bags. We walked until we reached the front doors of the inn. The lights of the inn were still on even though it was so late at night. I threw the doors open knowing that they would be unlocked. My parents worked till late in the night. I suppose an inn can't run itself.

I heard light footsteps as my mom came down the stairs to see what was going on and who was at the door. My mom was dressed in a red flannel set of pajamas, a stark contrast to her grey bob. She still looked wonderful despite her age.

"Drew! What a surprise! What are you doing here so late?" She asked and her eyes lit up as she saw me. I usually never visited my parents so late. I liked the solitude of my own house at my winery and farm. I did however visit my parents once a week for a family dinner. My whole family was forced to come every week. It was the one night a week when we all got together and could spend time together as a family.

Eloise was still behind me and I took a step to the left so that my mom could see that I had company.

"Oh my gosh. You look just like her." My mom gasped as she took in Eloise's appearance.

Eloise's eyes prickled with unshed tears. Clearly, Eloise knew exactly who my mom was referring to. I stared at both women with confession and a bit of irritation. I had a long day at the winery and I needed a good night's rest asap. "Like who mom?" I quipped.

"Grace." She whispered as her own hazel-coloured eyes started to fill with tears.

"You knew my mom?" Tears slipped down Eloise's face now.

"We were best friends." My mom uttered as she smiled a sad smile.

Then it hit me. Grace as in my mother's best friend from high school. I never met the woman but my mom always spoke very highly of her. There were also a few pictures of them together in my mother's old yearbook I suddenly remembered.

"She's gone isn't she?" My mom whimpered. The look in Eloise's eyes said it all.

"She passed away three months ago. Car crash." Eloise said unsteadily. I now understood Eloise's dark circles under her eyes and far-away looks. She was probably still filled with grief. My heart ached for her. It must be terrible to lose a parent. My mom's hands started shaking and tears streamed down her face. My mom held out her arms and wrapped her arms around Eloise's small frame. They both cried together as they held each other. Even though they were strangers, they still felt the same grief. Both women mourning the loss of an important person in their lives.

I then heard a set of heavy footsteps coming down the stairs. It was Dad. He stepped away from the stairs and closer to Mom. He was also dressed in a red flannel set. They were probably getting ready to turn in for the night before we abruptly showed up.

"What's wrong, Nora?" My dad asked, his voice full of concern. His blue eyes flicked over my mother's frame assessing if there was anything physically wrong with her.

His brows creased as he noticed Eloise. "Who's this?" My dad asked. My mom's eyes softened as she saw her husband. My mom untangled her arms from Eloise and took a spot at my dad's side.

"Clint, it's Grace's daughter." My mother uttered to my father as she held onto his upper arm. They looked like the perfect old married couple. My mother and father both with gray hair and were dressed in a matching red flannel set of pajamas. They were high school sweethearts and have been inseparable since. I got my chocolate brown eyes from my mother and my wavy brown hair from my father. My father's hair was no longer a chestnut brown but greyed over the years.

My father's eyes flashed with understanding as his eyes flicked to Eloise. He knew Grace as well. They were all best friends. His eyes softened as he took in both of the women's tear-streaked faces and he just knew.

"I'm so sorry for your loss." He said to Eloise. She gave him a slight nod and a small smile in return.

"What brought you all the way to us? Your mother hasn't come back in years," My mother asked Eloise as her brows creased with confusion. "Not that I mind you being here at all. You're welcome anytime." She assured Eloise with a warm smile.

"I've actually decided to move here." She said which surprised us all.

I knew in that exact moment that this woman was going to cause quite a few problems for me and my reputation as the town grump.