Chapter 18 - Gone

As I pulled up to my-, no our house I noticed the sheriff and Easton who stood on our front lawn

As I pulled up to my-, no our house I noticed the sheriff and Easton who stood on our front lawn. Their presence only increased my panic.

I jumped out of my car and ran up to my sister. "What happened?" I asked out of breath.

"I went to grab us some food and by the time I got back the living room was a mess. It looked like there was a struggle so I searched the house for Eloise, but I couldn't find her anywhere." Lexi whimpered.

She looked down and that was when I realised what was in her hand. It was a white cloth in a plastic evidence bag. "I realised something was very wrong when I found this on the floor." She held up the bag for me to see.

"No." I croaked. This was all too much. I felt my knees buckle to the ground. Easton caught me before I could hit the ground. I straightened and pushed him away.

"Drew, it's important to stay calm in situations like this." Easton tried to calm me down.

"Calm?! How could I stay calm when the woman I love was just kidnapped?!" I yelled at Easton. I wanted to punch something, anything. Preferably Easton. He damn well deserved it.

"Who knows what kind of psycho took her?" I groaned as I pressed the heels of my hands into my eyes.

"Well um, actually. We think we know who took her." Easton said carefully.

"Who?" I removed my hands from my eyes.

Easton's eyes moved to my sister and she gave him a small nod to continue.

"We think her father kidnapped her." Easton let out a breath.

I frowned. "What? Why would he kidnap his own daughter?"

"Easton thinks that she has something that he wants. It's why he has been sticking around in town for so long." The sheriff joined in.

I breathed in and out in an effort to calm myself. "What could he want from Eloise? She had almost nothing when she arrived here. She left most of her things behind in the city."

"That's what we are trying to figure out." The sheriff frowned as she scratched her chin.

"Did something out of the ordinary happen recently?" Easton questioned me.

I went over everything that has happened these last few weeks. "No, nothing that I can think of. Oh, except for."

"Except for what?" Lexi urged me on.

I rushed into the house and climbed the stairs two at a time.

"Hey! This is an active crime scene!" I heard the sheriff yell from somewhere outside the house.

I burst into Eloise's room and went straight for her bedside drawer. I opened the drawer and combed through everything until I finally found it. The envelope.