Chapter 21 - Closer

"Oh my gosh, so you hit him over the head with a random piece of wood that was just lying on the ground?" I laughed and leaned back on the couch

"Yeah, I just grabbed the first thing I could find and then bam! Lights out jerk!" Lexi said as she laughed with me.

Lexi came over for dinner a few hours ago claiming that we had to catch up, as if I hadn't been held captive a few hours before. And as I now sat on the couch I couldn't be more grateful. Her being here felt like old times. Almost as if this whole kidnapping mess was a dream, but unfortunately it wasn't. I wasn't ready to ponder on it too long though so I welcomed any distractions.

"Dinner is ready!" Drew shouted from the kitchen. I don't know how he managed to cook at this late hour which made me love him even more. When we first got back to the house a few hours ago I thought everything would be awkward, but luckily at least for tonight, we chose to ignore what happened. Goodness knows I couldn't take another mention of my kidnapping tonight. Giving the police a statement was tough, but luckily Easton intervened claiming I would give a more detailed report tomorrow after a night's rest. Which I couldn't be more thankful for, because as I now sat in the safety of our home the memories of the kidnapping were the last thing on my mind.

"Coming!" Lexi and I yelled in union to which we laughed. It felt good to laugh, after such a long time of not laughing at all.

Lexi and I stood up from the couch and made our way to the kitchen. As we entered the kitchen Drew stood in front of the stove with his back to me. "What's on the menu tonight, hotshot?" I said as I wrapped my arms around Drew's middle and peeked over his shoulder. Drew took off the lid of one of the pots to show me our dinner. I smiled. "I thought I'd make you your favourite dish. Pasta." Drew said as he turned around to face me.

My insides went feral. This man. I realized then and there that I wanted this man for the rest of my life. "I hope you know just how much I love you for making this."

"Mm, maybe I could use a quick demonstration?" Drew said slyly as he looked down at my lips. I took the hint and pressed my lips against his.

Lexi cleared her throat. "You know I'm still here, right? You can leave the lovey-dovey stuff for after I leave."

Drew and I blushed as we pulled away from each other. Drew quickly moved to the stove to plate up for us. He handed me a hearty plate of pasta. My mouth watered at the sight. The pasta looked delicious. I suppose when you've eaten canned beans for the last few days just about anything would look delicious.

I took a seat at the kitchen table and took a small bite. "Careful it's hot," Drew said too late. As soon as the pasta touched my tongue it felt as if my tongue was on fire. Drew came running to me with a glass of milk in hand. "This ought to help." Drew chuckled. I grabbed the glass and took a few sips. "Much better, thank you." I smiled at Drew.

Lexi stood near the stove with a smirk on her face. "What?" I looked at her with a frown. "You two got it bad." She chuckled softly as she shook her head.