Chapter 19 - Surprises and secrets

"And what is it that you want exactly?" I narrowed my eyes at him

"Your inheritance." He said it in a way as if it meant something to me.

I was taken aback by his response. My brows scrunched together. "My what?" I didn't know anything about any sort of inheritance. My father must have officially lost his mind.

"Oh come on. Don't even act surprised. You must know about your inheritance."

Of course, this was all about money. It was the one and only thing my father truly cared about. Well, that and gambling. I was about six years old when my father got into gambling. At first, everything seemed fine and under control until it wasn't. He had the knack of racking up a lot of debts. If this whole situation was because of a gambling debt I was in big trouble because I certainly didn't have enough money to cover his debts. I'm a waitress and part time baker for goodness sake.

"I don't. Mom never told me anything about any inheritance." I stared him down.

"Mmm, I might believe you. Guess that car crash didn't do me a lot of good, since she never got the chance to tell you. This whole mess could've been avoided if she just told you where it was."

I pushed against the rope with all my strength, which only caused the rope to dig deeper into my skin. I was going to end him. Slowly. "You son of-"

"No need for crude language." My father smirked. I was going to wipe that smirk right off his face as soon as I got out of these ropes.

"She probably wanted to surprise you on your twenty-fifth birthday. Your mother was always so good at surprises. And secrets." My father said as he eyed me.

"Your mother was especially cagey when she spoke of your inheritance. I do know that she saved up a lot of money for when you turned twenty-five. She deemed it was the appropriate age that you'd spend money thoughtfully. She never told me where she put it all and I have a feeling you know. You are turning twenty-five in a month after all."

"Like I said before she never told me about any of this!" I didn't get riled up a lot. My father always brought out the worst in me. I hated it.

"Guess we'll see if you are more willing to talk tomorrow." My father threw a can of beans at my feet and left the room.

I stared at the canned beans. Well looks like this is my breakfast, lunch or dinner. I didn't even know what time of day it was or how long I'd even been here. It's hard to tell the time when you are sitting in some sort of concrete room with no windows.

I looked at my surroundings to try and figure out where I was. At the other end of the room, there were a lot of racks with chemical supplies on them. If I had to take a guess where I was I would probably say some sort of factory. It had to be abandoned.