Chapter 9 - Not so subtle

A week flew by and I still hadn't heard anything from my father yet

A week flew by and I still hadn't heard anything from my father yet. He went completely radio silent. No phone calls, no texts. Nothing. I couldn't appreciate his silence at all. I still had this irking feeling in me, telling me that something bad was going to happen.

When it came to my father, bad things seemed to follow him and someone always got hurt.

***

I was busy baking in the kitchen of Lexi's coffee shop when I heard a familiar voice. Each day his voice seemed to soothe my heart even more. I popped my head out of the kitchen and saw Drew standing by the counter talking with his sister. My eyes flicked over his black fitted shirt, jeans and dark brown cowboy boots as I took him in. Not only did Drew have good looks ,but a good heart as well. It only made me like him more.

We haven't told anybody about our relationship yet, we weren't ready yet. We just wanted to savour it for a while, just the two of us. If anyone knew the whole town would know it as well by sunset. Small towns are known for their gossip after all.

I haven't been in a committed relationship in a while and Drew, well Drew hasn't been in a committed relationship ever. So we decided to take things slow.

Almost as if sensing my eyes on him Drew abruptly looked my way. His eyes caught mine. I saw a glimmer of longing in them. He said goodbye to Lexi and sauntered over to me. We stepped into the kitchen where no one could see us. "Hey." He grinned. "Hi, hotshot." I greeted him. I heard him chuckle. My stomach filled with butterflies. He leaned in for a kiss. I pressed one finger to his lips. "Not here." I looked around and reminded him with a sly smile. "But I haven't seen you all day. You left at the crack of dawn to make these damn cupcakes." He grunted. "It's for a big event and we could use all the business we can get," I said to him as I continued icing the red velvet cupcakes.

"Speaking of events, we're having a family dinner at my parent's house tonight. My mother invited you. Do you want to come?" Drew said from behind me. He leaned against the counter with his arms crossed over his muscular chest. "I'll be there." I smiled and looked over my shoulder at him. "Good." He smiled. Gosh, his smile made me weak in the knees. His eyes shifted from me to the clock on the wall above my head. "I have to get back to work but before I do..." He said while dipping his finger in the bowl of white cream cheese icing. He moved so fast and I didn't see it coming as he smeared a bit of icing on my cheek. I stared at him in shock and burst out laughing. He left the room with a smirk before I could retort. I smiled. He really was something.

Drew picked me up after work at our house and we drove to his parent's house together in his truck. We had just opened the front door of Drew's parent's inn when I heard Drew's mother shout from the kitchen.
"The food will be ready in 20 minutes!"
A delicious smell filled the air that made my mouth water.