Settling In

It was a couple days after moving in with the Andrews, that my screwed-up life began to catch up with me.

      Drowsy from the early hour, I was heading towards the living room when I heard the familiar buzz. I recognized it immediately. I shut my eyes briefly, groaning loudly before I made a dash for it. Through startled panic, I made the mistake of running straight towards the staircase. Before tumbling headfirst head over heels down the stairs, the Sphere pricked me beneath my barefoot. To add to my misfortune, the flight of stairs led to the kitchen, where Mr. Andrews had been quietly enjoying a cup of coffee.

      He nearly dropped the mug in shock, swift to race my way. "Clara!"

      I darted up before he could reach me, highly embarrassed.

      "I'm okay!" I said, voice a few octaves too high as I brushed off my fall.

      "Are you—"

      "Oh, yeah," I cut him off, attempting to casually take my seat at the table. "I'm fine."

      The fall had surprisingly not been that painful. My pride hurt more than anything. The sudden tingling in my foot bothered me more than the forming bruise on my hip, but that had nothing to do with the stairs.

      Though clearly perplexed by the idea that I hadn't being injured in the dramatic fall, fingers brushing his grey beard in question, Jim said no more on that matter. In no time he was questioning me about school and talking politics. A usual morning at the Andrews. He was going off about how some politician had had an affair with a celebrity and explaining how it would affect their votes. I did my best to act as though I was interested in his words, but my numb foot was driving me mad. It was like constantly being on the verge of sneezing. Occasionally my leg would kick forward unintentionally. Every time I did so, the table shook, and every time Jim frowned slightly, but otherwise did his best to ignore it.

      "Coffee? Really, Clara?" Andrews asked in a tone of disappointment, the moment he entered the kitchen.

       "Batman boxers? Really Andrews?" I copied his tone.

       "Batman is the greatest superhero to ever live."

       I didn't bother reminding him that he was speaking of a fictional character. "I beg to differ."

      He paused his breakfast preparation to shoot me a look of annoyance. "It is much too early to argue over this... But let me just say that you are wrong in so many ways."

      "Perhaps next time you can save us an argument, by wearing pants."

      "Pants?" he asked outraged. You'd swear I had asked him to wear a dress and pantyhose.

      "Yes. They're what one usually wears to avoid parading half naked in front of their friends."

      I teased him but really didn't mind his choice of clothing, or lack thereof. He might be my best friend, but I had to admit he was attractive, in his own unique way. Not as good looking as his brother, I mean Colton was ridiculously hot. He didn't have Colton's blue eyes or toned chest and abs, nor did he have Dylan's ruggish looks and intelligence, but he was great in his own way. He was definitely my favourite of the three boys.

      "Molino, this is my house," he said. "I'll parade half naked if I want too."

     "Of course. Do what you want, but you should know that they don't leave much to the imagination."

      Jim chocked on his coffee, laughing at his son's face. Mouth agape, Andrews flipped me off.

      "There's something freeing about walking around in your underwear... I won't let you take that away from me." Bagel in mouth, carton of milk and box of cereal in hands, he marched right back to his room.