The Moment I've Been Dreading

Leaving my side, Mimpi shouted a command I didn't understand, and everyone in the school yard lined up some distance behind me, Mimpi the last man back.

      Despite obviously being outnumbered, I had to admit that the many rows of side-by-side purple cloaks, was intimidating. Watching the group behind me, I smiled, recognizing Wayan and a few other nameless, familiar faces. They had all chosen to do this, their bravery both reassured and filled me with pride. Standing alone in front of Eudora's army, Laila and Xander joined me, the three of us turning to face the nearing enemies. They each stood by my side, patiently waiting for my signal.

       I looked at Xander, bow and quiver strapped to his back, black blade in hand.

      "I don't know how this is going to end, but no hard feelings?" I started. "I know we've had our fair share of disagreements, but you've really helped me out. I appreciate the patience and commitment you've shown me... Thank you."

       With a closed-mouth smile, Xander nodded, his own gratitude flashing across black eyes. Returning his smile, I turned towards Laila.

      "Other thank knowing you're a badass, I don't know much about you, but if we survive this, I'd like to change that... I'm glad to have both of you by my side."

       Twirling the daggers in her hands, Laila smirked. Everyone was ready; awaiting my signal. Well... there was no more procrastinating. It was now or never. With a steadying breath, I shot the two a small nod. Reciprocating the action, eyes lingering on one another, Laila and Xander placed their weapons and bodies in the proper fighting stance they had long ago been taught, following my footsteps.

       Marching forward at the same pace, I was eerily reminded of the vision of Eudora, Easton, and Mimpi's entrance, during that first fight against Kundanskie. I prayed our battle ended differently. I prayed that two of the three didn't die as they had. I prayed that Laila and Xander had a future. I hoped for one for myself as well, but I would risk my own if it meant only one had to die this time. I would not let history repeat itself.

       Every purple cloak behind matching our footsteps, our steps grew louder. I was impressed by the way we portrayed ourselves. That is until I went and ruined it... or rather the Sphere ruined it. The injection hit me in the gut the same moment thunder rumbled, rain starting to pore. Doubling over, I swore repetitively, Laila and Xander sending me crazed looks.

       Really? Was this really the best time? I was feeling confident in myself, and my team and the Sphere just threw me off. How was causing me a stomach-ache going to help me in battle? Standing straight, I sighed, suddenly frowning as the pain completely dissipated. I was calmer than I had been in weeks. I could only describe it as the same feeling as the time I received morphine for my broken leg in the sixth grade. I was somewhat loopy as I had been that Halloween night many years ago, but my mind was still intact, and I was very much in control of my body... I was just very relaxed.

        "Woah," I said, slowly adjusting to the feeling.

      Xander snorted.

      "Can we pretend nothing happened?" I asked.

      Biting back smirks, Laila and Xander nodded. And just when I thought I had recovered myself, the moment we began to march again, I slid on the newly formed mud. I'd have fallen right on my ass if not for Xander and Laila steadying me on both sides.

      "Pretend this didn't happen either?" Xander teased.

      Re-correcting my posture, I groaned. I swear I heard Mimpi snicker from afar. I refused to look back. After bearing witness to my extensive level of clumsiness, I was certain the others would be reassured that I was elected to take care of the greatest threat... Stop. I wouldn't let the small trip up destroy the little confidence I had built. Just march on and so will the others. Don't get in your head.