Happily Ever After?

Not to my surprise, Andrews had agreed to accompany me to the ceremony. Dressed in his nicest pair of jeans with a black collared button-down long sleeve, he drove us to what used to be my siblings' school.

      Not much was left to the old pink building, area surrounding an equally tragic mess. Many had volunteered to clean to area, the town people thankful and respectful of Mimpi's people, relieved that this seemed to mark the end of the black masks' assaults. Laila had easily received permission to borrow the land for the ceremony. Police cars even surrounded the field, ensuring the event remained private. It was clear that the police force was confused, faced with a dilemma as they supervised and allowed so many to stand on what should have been considered a crime scene. So many murders, but they didn't know who to hold accountable. I think they came to the conclusion that it was best to leave it alone. It was done, and Mimpi's people would soon return home. If they did arrest anyone, they'd probably end up punishing those who deserved nothing but praise and gratitude.

    Seated in the parked truck, I could already see the many, lined up, white clothed beds. I felt paralyzed in my seat, overwhelming sense of failure creating a fear and dread of facing the devastated living purple cloaks. A slight squeeze to my hand snapped me out of my daze. Andrews pulled me out of the truck. Stood as straight as I could despite my injuries, I adjusted my dress, Andrews nearby to steady me. I didn't tend to wear dresses, but the outfit fit the occasion and was most convenient with the walking cast.

    Limping down the field, Andrews stood patiently by my side steadying my few stumbles. I was incredibly grateful that Laila had invited him. I'm not sure how I would have carried myself without him; without the comforting arm circling my waist.

     Letting everyone go ahead of us, we remained behind the pack, following the others as we paid our respects to everybody. Though it pained me to see the many unfamiliar faces and their loved ones broken states, tears only threatened to spill from my blue eyes when we caught up with Laila. Having recently passed the lifeless corpse of the boy that had taken a spear for me and the girl who had been with him, already my controlled state was starting to crumble.

     Sensing the change in my demeanour, Andrews' grip tightened. Not far beside the two young bodies, stood Laila, positioned carefully between Mimpi and Xander. Emotionless, she stared at the grass, not even noticing our arrival. Briefly leaving Andrews' side, he kneeled next to Mimpi's form, whilst I approached Laila. I didn't tend to enjoy hugging, but I didn't know how else to console her.

     Making my presence known, I gave her no time to respond, wrapping my arms around her rigid figure. At first, she remained stiff, arms tucked tightly to her side, but a few seconds passed, and she released a shaky breath, arms wrapping themselves around my back. I didn't speak much, as nothing could be said to make things better, only speaking to make her promise to keep in touch.

      I left Laila with who I assumed to be Xander's family and her sister, finally approaching the two that I had been trying to avoid.

     Andrews gave me space. He stood to the side, chatting with a young boy that greatly resemble Xander. With a heavy breath, I knelt beside Xander's lifeless body. Staring blankly at his body, I felt hollow. So much I wanted to say, so much I wanted to thank and honour him for, but I had no way of doing so. They would never know to what point I came to appreciate them. Eyes shut, one hand placed on his cold ones, I thought of the few moments and stories I had of him, hoping that somehow, wherever his being was, he would understand the extent of my appreciation.

     Ultimately my aims felt hopeless, and with one last regard of the brunette, I stood straight, slowly moving on to Mimpi's pyre. Taking her cold hands as well, I knelt by her side. Face paler than usual, she looked the same. Body lifeless but still intimidating in her purple cloak. Though her death was less devastating than the others in the sense that she had lived more than a full life, still my heart ached much differently than it did when I saw the others. She had spent most of her life working towards this moment, and though she got to successfully see it through, she didn't live long enough to experience the glory of her achievement. Of every individual involved, she deserved the most recognition.