Friend or Foe?

"You are the biggest idiot I know," I said in between bits of laughter. Holding my side, cramped up in laughter, I stood next to the Binsfield's rose bush, looking at a very wet Andrews. Wet hair plastered to his forehead, a red X was placed on his chin and paint splashed all over his clothes. He did not share my amusement.

      "Don't look at me like that," I said, still laughing. "I did warn you many times."

      After watching me with narrowed eyes, he finally cracked a smile. "I suppose it was quite stupid to go after those two."

     "Bested by seven-year old's," I teased as we jumped over the large black fence.

      "I'd like to see you try to do better," he playfully shoved me as we reached the ground.

     "I know they'd have bested me too," I admitted. "But at least I wasn't stupid enough to attempt it."

     "I may have made a fool myself but is seems to have brought you great joy, so I say it was worth it."

     I turned his way with my nose scrunched upwards. "That has got to be the corniest thing I have ever heard."

      "I meant it, though," he said, sincerely.

     Raising my eyebrows and biting back a smile, I looked at him with amused curiosity.

     "It's just nice to see you happy" he explained. "You've been acting more like yourself these past few weeks. Despite everything going on, you've managed to keep somewhat of a good humour."

      Readjusting my backpack, I smiled and shrugged. "It's always nice to see the kids and you were right about the secrets nagging at my insides. It's nice to have the important people know about it... And I know I don't have much time before Kundanskie rises. I have this constant cold and uneasy feeling. I can feel her and her people growing more powerful, but the training has been going well and though I in no way feel confident about coming out victorious, I've finally really come to terms with the Terpilih status. I'm not angry about being chosen anymore, it's actually come to feel right—"

     I never got to finish my sentence. I was tackled to the ground. Landing harshly on my back, a blade was immediately placed to my throat. The man, with horribly bleached hair and black eyes, hovered above me, wild smirk on his face. It was the first time I had seen one without the black masks. Determined to get the smirk off his face, I paid no regards to his outfit. Pushing his body away from my own, I reversed our positions and stole the sword from his firm grip. Straddling his hips, I slammed the hilt on his head just as a familiar voice shouted no!

      Standing, I stepped away from the limp body, just as Xander emerged from the back yard.

"It's a good thing you're against killing the enemy," he shook his head exasperatedly.

The disapproving look was not shot my way but rather at the body at my feet. I finally understood why he hadn't been wearing a mask. The boy, probably, a year or two younger than me, was wearing a purple cloak.

       "He's one of your people!"

      "Yes," Xander sighed, as though ashamed by the answer. "My cousin. Not our brightest warrior, but a great sword handler."

      "And he attacked me why?" I demanded, only now remembering Andrews presence at my feet. Looking shell shocked, the expression along with the evidence of the twins' prank was almost enough to make me erupt in laughter again. If my heart wasn't pounding so fast from the surprise attack I might have.

      "Egotistical child," Xander sighed. "Guanli has been speaking quite highly of you and has requested his and Kynthia's presence for tonight's training session, hoping to give you a greater challenge. He wanted to prove himself... I suppose we may need to find a replacement."