Battle Gone Wrong

I thought of calling Andrews, but perks of having my clothes disappear through the appearance of the suit, everything in my pockets disappeared along with it. I figured it was for the best though. I feared the moment he would show, a black mask would soon follow. And so, I began a walk that would take me hours.

     I didn't wish for Andrews to see me this way, but he was truly my only hope. I couldn't go see anyone else for help without running into deeper problems. I didn't know if I'd survive the walk or how long I'd last if I did reach his room... I hated the idea of his potentially bearing witness to my death, but I couldn't just give up. I thought of Eudora; murdered by her own sister, placing all of her faith in me... She deserved to be avenged, and I had promised to do everything in my power to do so. Even if I did die tonight, at least I would do so knowing I had given it my best shot.

    Skirt ripped to pieces, wrapped around my deepest wounds, I finally neared the Andrews' home, the sword, used as a cane, the only thing keeping me standing. House in sight, my heart dropped when I noticed the rustling of a nearby bush.

    I never believed I'd have been so happy to see Wayan. Relief washed over me as I watched the young boy approach me, genuinely seeming concerned with my state. Not a word spoken, both he and his partner rushed to my side, aiding me to the window. Sun having set, the light from Andrews' room illuminated our path. We were steps away from the brick house, so close that I could hear Star Wars playing his room, when all three of us fell to the ground in attempt to dodge a spear thrown at the height of my heart.

     No. Not now. Not here. Wayan and his friend were quick to withdraw their weapons, but I, still sprawled on the ground, struggled to even just lift my sword. Wayan pushed my hand down, lowering the blade.

     "We've got this," he said, eyes never leaving the dark shadow in the woods, slowly approaching, sword twirling between his fingers.

    "We'll be fine," he promised. "Can you make it to the window?"

     I nodded, then realizing he wasn't looking at me, croaked a small yes. He left my side instantly and I had full confidence in the way they approached the man that they would have no trouble taking care of him.

    Sliding the window open, instantly I heard Andrews' voice. "Finally!" he said. "I was starting to worry. What took you so long? I've been waiting for—"

     Locking the window behind me, I let myself fall on his carpet, immediately bombarded with injections. Andrews' words came to an abrupt stop. Through the pain of the injections, I barely registered his verbal panic. I did, however, hear Mimpi shout bucket, seconds before Andrews threw his garbage can beneath my face. Overwhelmed with pain, I heaved into the small can, Andrews supporting my head above it, as I was too weak to support myself.

    "You're going to be alright," he repeated, though it was difficult to tell for who's benefit he was speaking the words.

     "Run a bath," Mimpi instructed, interrupting Andrews' frenzy. "Wash out the wounds. The Sphere will control the bleeding, then you'll patch her up."

     Everything had become a blurry haze, blinded with pain. I couldn't see what was going on, but felt gentle arms slide beneath my legs and shoulders; Andrews taking me into his arms.

     "Sorry," he said, carefully lifting me from the ground.

    Despite the pain of being cradled and the continuous injections, my body finally relaxed, muscles loosening, tension relieved. Here is where I felt safe. No matter what happened, I knew Andrews would care for me properly.

     Laid on the cool bathroom tiles, I heard the stream of the bath water, and Andrews' quick steps, running around the room, fumbling with drawers, gathering the right supplies. Through the swelling and blood, I saw part of Mimpi's worried face. I tried to send her a reassuring smile but ended up grimacing. Somehow even that small movement was painful.

     Still fighting to catch my breath, all I could taste was blood. The smell was strong, even after Andrews began removing it. Hands trembling, he held me up, washing my face with a wet towel as he waited for the bath to fill.

    He must have felt tortured having to wait to shut the wounds, placing all his trust in the Sphere, but I had briefly heard Mimpi tell him that it was best this way. Best to let the Sphere do its work first and relax my body so I could handle it. It went against everything he learned in his medical videos, but I was not like the patients he studied. The Sphere was the only thing keeping my alive.

     Vision somewhat cleared, from the bathroom floor, I looked up at Andrews. He was still cradling my face, hand shaking against the towel he used to wash my face. Tension in his features and the panic in his eyes. I felt the blood pooling beneath me, saw it all over his hands, even splattered on his chest from my uncontrollable coughing.

     "Sorry," I choked, watching the red drops drip from the top of his thorax to the bottom of his ribs.

     "Don't," he said, voice hoarse, urging me to save my breath.

     Removing the shredded skirt and top, I was once again in his arms. Carefully dropping me in the water, he swore under his breath as I almost slipped completely under. I tried to help him, tried to hold myself up, but it was as though I had last control of my body. Physically I had already fallen into a deep slumber, my conscious the only thing fighting off sleep.

     "Trust me," Mimpi's voice was distant. "Give the Sphere time. I'll tell you went to start the first aid. For now, just work on calming her."

     I almost wanted to argue that I was calm, my body had become completely immobile, but the pounding heart in my chest said otherwise. My pulse and breathing were still rocket high.

     Andrews let out a shaky breath, troubled with following Mimpi's orders. His soft trembling hands pushed me forward, water rising as he placed himself behind me. Knees bent on both sides of my body, he pulled me towards him, resting my head on his chest. Sighing, I finally let myself shut my eyes. The warmth of his skin on mine, the warmth of the water around me, and the familiar cedar scent and the sound of his beating heart, I finally felt at peace. Concentrating on the feeling of his arms around mine, I could forget about tonight's adventures and those to come. Despite my predicament, it was the safest I had felt in months.

     Eventually my breathing slowed, rhythm coming to match Andrews', chest rising and falling together. Slowly I felt myself slip away. Andrews' encouraging words were the last thing I heard before slipping into a dreamless sleep.