Chapter 4: Mist

First person POV: (Y/n)

I fumble with my gear, trying to get myself anchored to something, anything really. The grappling hooks of my gear go flying in some random direction. The only thing I can do is hope that at least one of them anchors and I don't fall to my death.

I can't help but let out a pained sound when I feel one of the hooks anchor, braking my fall. The harness digs into my skin and pressures so strongly on my chest that I feel my ribs aching again. My side hits a cold stone surface, my head banging against it as well. Everything turns fuzzy for a moment.

The unanchored hook swings back and forth on my side. I'm closer to the ground than I'd feared. The end of the hook nearly touches the ground.

I don't let myself register the pain all over my body as I push the button on my gear to pull back the swinging hook. I know I'm probably bleeding from somewhere from the hot wind or the fact that my body slammed against the Wall. My face and hands feel tender, like burnt. Wouldn't be surprised if the wind really did burn me.

What the fuck even was that? Where did it come from?

With that thought I slowly start making my way up. The smoke - mist - is starting to clear. The face sight that my eyes see up on the Wall.

The hideous face, the skinless half-formed body. The Colossal Titan.

Yelling starts on top the Wall and I speed up my process of climbing up. I hear one voice above them all. Hange's. All that before the Titan swings its hand across the Wall and people come falling down with debris. Most anchor a bit higher than me. Hange directly above me.

"(Y/n)! Thank god!" they sigh in relief when I make it beside them. They fall immediately back into commanding mode, "All troops, ready for combat!"

With that everyone climbs back up the wall and raises into air with the help of our gear, I amongst them. We all anchor ourselves somewhere near or of the Colossal Titan.

"All troops, attack!" Hange yells and we follow the command. First we swing around the Titan, confusing it. I go straight by its face, so close that if I wanted to I could have taken out its eyes. The confusion of wires and noises lasts 'til we're all hooked near its nape and Hange yells out another command to go for the nape.

Immediately I push the buttons on my gear. Sending myself flying toward the Titan's nape.

But to. Nothing can go our way, not once. The Titans realizes our moves and immediately we're blocked off. It's slow but the hot mist emitting from it burns. I hear Hange's yelling again telling us to pull back.

I un-anchor my hooks from the Titan and fly back again. This time, I shoot my hooks out immediately and they settle on the side of the wall. I swing along the wall and land again beside the other people, facing the Titan.

"Is he trying to disappear again?!" I hear Hange call. I force myself to an upstanding position and near them and Armin.

"In the past he vanished immediately." I can make out Armin saying, "But this time his frame is still here."

"If he keeps emitting that heat then there's nothing we can do," I insert.

Armin immediately looks at Hange, "What do we do?"

"Nothing," Hange replies immediately, "All we can do is wait." They then turn to the people behind us, "Teams three and four! Flank the target and standby! Rashad, take charge!" they command, "Team two stands by, Lauda, it's all yours!"

Said Scouts reply with agreement while Hange stares at the Colossal Titan.

"We'll just have to wait and see how long he can keep his body burning. But he'll come out sooner or later. We wait for our opportunity," Hange says.

"Is it a shifter?" I ask, catching Armin's attention. He nods; "That's Berthold," he says.

"From 104th?" He again nods. I need no more confirmation.

"We can't try to capture them any longer," Hange commands, turning toward Armin, "Got it?"

"Kill them. Don't hesitate." Armin replies without any hesitation.

I admire that kid. This is friends we're talking off, not to mention the two Titans fighting off the Wall, one I recognize as Eren but the other has to be a shifter as well, I assume from 104th also. Two of his friends and he's willing to kill them to save the world. He's got a good head on his shoulders.

"Team one, come with me! We're going after the Armored Titan!" Hange yells and hops off the Wall. I take off after them with Armin by my side. Many Scouts follow as well.

The sight isn't beautiful. Eren's face is smashed in, and the other Titan keeps going at him. A human - Mikasa - swings around in the trees, trying to slice through the rock-sloid material that makes up the Armored Titan's armor.

Armin beside me starts yelling to Eren that going hand-to-hand with the Armored Titan is useless. Eren's slowly standing.

"Did he forget about us?!" Hange's yelling. I watch Eren going in for a right hook but then changes his course and goes low. His hands round the Armored Titan's neck and right arm in a choke hold. With his own body weight he throws the Armored Titan over his shoulder making it land in its back, leaving him perfectly exposed.

Armin mutters something about this being Annie's technique. I guess it could be. I wouldn't know.

The two Titans keep rustling on the ground, trying to get the upper hand, until Eren's got the Armored Titan on its stomach and he rips its arm off its body.

Armin goes down the wall before anyone can stop him. He meets with Mikasa and starts yelling toward Eren. Eren seems to listen when he starts getting closer to the wall and we all take position higher up.

Hange takes position on Eren's shoulder talking to him before joining everyone else on the wall.

Moments later the other Titans charges and within a flash he's slammed Eren into the Wall. That Titan is fast as fuck.

"How's he suddenly so fast?" Someone yells the question.

"Is there nothing we can do?!" Another shouts. The Titans are again rolling around on the ground, another blink and they're up, Eren backing away from the Armored Titan.

Hange starts muttering and when I glance toward them, I spot Mikasa there as well and Armin.

"He should not be able to move like that," I catch onto Hange's rambling, "Behind the knee!"

Just then Eren takes the Armored Titan down with another chokehold. Mikasa swoops in then, going for one knee but she can't go for other before the Titan starts moving. Pushing itself and Eren along the ground.

As the scene unfolds I look up to the Colossal Titan who's still emitting the mist. Without any warning an ear piercing screech sounds. I cover my ears and close my eyes from the pain it causes in my head.

"Watch the perimeter! He called for more Titans!" Hange calls to everyone on the Wall.

"Above!" I yell just as the Colossal Titan starts falling from atop the Wall and toward the two fighting Titans.

___________________________

Word count: 1236