Chapter 9: Humans?

First Person POV: (Y/n)

My thought process consists of two things: stars and for some weird reason; Levi. I'd like to watch starts with him. I think he'd like it as well. He seems like a person to appreciate stars.

The vision behind my eyelids returns slowly, and to my luck, the place seems dark. Unlike the last time I awoke and didn't remember anything for a few seconds, this time I remember everything. Truthfully, I've been awake for some time. I just haven't had it in me to open my eyes and face the world. I have to do it at some point, though.

That point is going to be now. I slowly try opening my right eye, confirming the room to indeed be dark, save for the candle beside my bed. I open my other eye and glance around for a moment, letting my vision clear from the haziness.

"Welcome back to the living." My eyes snap to the source of the voice. Of course, I knew who it was, but still, I needed confirmation and just to see him again.

Levi's sitting beside my bed, a paper in hand, his gaze on me. I don't respond. Just soak in his presence. His usually so hard eyes are just a bit softer, the harsh line of his mouth set with what seems like worry.

"Glad to be back," my voice sounds wrong in my ears, too gravely, too scratchy.

"You managed to break another tree ribs," Levi says, turning his attention on the paper in his hand.

"You should see Erwin," I chuckle. Levi levels be a glare at that. I assume he's seen Erwin's state then.

I breathe in a shallow breath and ask; "How long was I out for?"

At first, the man beside me doesn't answer, and I half expect him not to answer at all, but then I hear a soft, "Four days too long for my liking."

"What does that mean?" I dare ask, pushing myself up to a sitting position, ignoring the ache in my eyes bone.

"You were out for four days straight, (Y/n). Four and a half days at this point," he replies and places the paper on a stack of them, which I hadn't noticed before.

"And?"

"You managed to scare the living daylights out of me. Again." His words are meaningful and urgent, but his face betrays none of that. If anything, he looks tired.

I say nothing. I can't apologize for protecting my Commander. I did what was right for humanity. Erwin was already injured enough. If he was the one grabbed, he might not have made it back alive. He said that he's replicable, but in my eyes, no one can replace Erwin. He's a strong leader, one that's worth following. I don't admit it often, even to myself. But here I am.

"I can apologize for scaring you. But I won't apologize for putting Erwin's life before my own." I look away from the man sitting beside me and up to the ceiling.

"I'm not looking for an apology, (Y/n). I'm just glad you're back, and quite frankly, I couldn't give two shits about Erwin, I say let him die." Levi says this, but I know he wouldn't let the man die.

I chuckle, neither the less, and bring my eyes back to him. Our eyes meet, and the slight smile on my face falls in an instant.

"What happened before my departure—"

"I don't think it was a mistake."