Chapter 5: After them

First person POV: (Y/n)

It's been about four hours. The Colossal Titan fall didn't kill anyone but rendered many unconscious. I don't know. I managed to avoid hitting my head, but I did. I've been tending to the injured with others who didn't get knocked out.

A message was sent to the Trost District. To let Erwin know what had happened. That we encountered Titans even though there's no hole in the Wall. And that they took Eren and Ymir.

I wish Hange was awake. I could have someone to talk to instead of thinking. Thinking of all the possible outcomes of this event.

Though they aren't awake, I still settle down beside them. Not far from the others. I see Armin moving around. He was one of the first to wake up after the blast. That was about three hours ago now. He's been helping around since then. Despite me telling him that he needs to rest more.

"(Y/n)?" Speak of the devil.

"Yes, Armin?" I turn to the boy. He hesitantly settles down beside me as well.

"Finally ready to rest?" I ask teasingly.

The boy's face flushes with red, but he replies; "Just taking a moment to sit down, there are still things to do." I nod silently.

"Do you think the Commander will come here?" he asks me. I consider his question for a while. It probably seemed to him that I wouldn't after at all.

"I don't know. Erwin's unpredictable. I've been here for years, and yet, I've never been able to figure him out. He's probably the only one I can't read like I do others," I say, turning my gaze toward the horizon, "I do hope he comes, though. We need a strong leader right now."

Armin hums his answer and sits quietly beside me. Things are really getting messy around here. So many discoveries and questions yet so few answers. It's frustrating that we don't know anything. All this time, we've thought that Titans were just mindless creatures whose only purpose in life is to devour humans, but the truth seems much more complicated now. It almost seems like there might be other humans out there who want us dead. The shifters.

I blow out a breath and lay down, staring at the sky. Armin glances at me with an alarmed look, but I wave a hand at him; "I'm fine. Just taking a rest. My head hurts from all this bullshit." It's half a truth. My head and side hurt from when I was flung off the Wall and then smashed onto the side of it.

"Alright," the boy says, and his gaze drifts to our left. Mikasa lays there, still unconscious. Armin's worried, I can tell. His shoulders are tense, and his face is full of worry. For Mikasa, for Eren.

***

I'm limping again. My left side giving me hell, but I hide most of it. I'm not the main character – as long as I can walk and lift my blades, I'm fine. I have to be.

"Mikasa!" I hear Armin yelling. I can only assume the said girl is awake. Then I look to where Mikasa was laying. I see her at Armin's collar, demanding to know Eren's ware bouts. When the boy doesn't answer to her question, she quickly moves to the side of the wall and looks down. For a moment, I think she might jump down.

"Eren was taken away." I hear Armin say to her. I don't see her face but from the way her body tenses. She isn't happy about the news.

I make my way over to the two just when Mikasa grabs Armin's collar again.

"Lay off Mikasa. It isn't Armin's fault," I say to her, "We're waiting for the lifts to transport the horses to the other side of the wall." She looks at me then to Armin for confirmation.