Chapter 7: I just hit my head!

First person POV: Levi

I brush away the last piece of paper that needed reading, lean back in my seat, and sigh. They've been gone for a whole day, and I've heard nothing. No messengers have been sent, and no one's returned. Nothing. Nada. At least nothing that I know of.

I don't know whether to be happy about it or worried. Whether to assume that the mission is going well or they've all died by now. The latter is less likely. The people there have been outside the Walls. Even if there are Titans inside, it cannot be any worse than that of the outside.

"Get them to the infirmary! Fast!" I hear someone yell outside my room.

"I'm fine! I just hit my head!" Another voice answers. This one, I know. Now I stand and immediately go to the door. When I open it and look down the hallways of the building we're stationed at in Ehrmich district, I spot Hange being carried between two nurses, their legs practically dragging behind them.

"Shorty!" They call at me right when their eyes land on me. With a click of my tongue, I push the door behind me closed and step closer to Hange and the two nurses.

As I look at Hange, my body fills with the hope that maybe. . .just maybe the others are back as well. Maybe (Y/n)'s back, too. Not that I'd know what to say to her after what happened, but I'd at least feel at ease.

"Section Commander, we need to take you to the infirmary for a checkup," one of the nurses says sternly.

"I'm fine!" They whine.

"Hange, come on," I say, wave away the nurses and slide Hange's hand over my shoulders. They lean on me, and we start walking.

"How'd it go?" I dare ask, just as we make it to the infirmary doors.

Hange doesn't answer for a while. From that, I already know that the others are not back. That she's not back. I don't bother asking anything else as I put Hange to sit on one of the chairs and the two nurses who trailed us start asking Hange questions about their vision, if their head hurt and so on.

"I'm telling you! I'm fine, I just hit my head!" They whine when one of the nurses asks if they're sure that their head doesn't hurt.

Both the nurses sigh heavily, put all their equipment down, point Hange a salve to spread on their burns, and leave.

"Oh, don't look so worried, lover-boy," Hange says, while rubbing some of the salve onto their face.

"I'm not worried." I state, "I just don't want to sit around. It's slowly starting to bore me out of my mind." Hange hums pointedly and pockets the tiny tin.

"I don't know who you're lying to. Me or yourself. You're fooling no one, though. Unless you're stupid enough to believe your own lies." I don't reply. Fooling, no one? Have I really become that see-through?

"Seems like I'm losing my edge," I mutter, not bothering to deny any lies.

"You know, it's okay to be worried about the ones you care about," Hange says, looking at me, "I am worried right now. I've got my whole squad out there, and I'm here because I passed out after the Colossal Titan fell on me—"

"Wait, what? Colossal Titan? How the fuck did you not die?" ask, a bit louder than intended. A shush comes from somewhere in the room.