Chapter 13

Stormme

I tore them up, photos of my former lover. Gazing at Olivet, that love had passed away. James drove at a steady pace, keen on giving us privacy while we passed by hills and lush mountains in a soft blur. She's curled up against the seat, arms close to her body as if protecting herself from the wind. Her hair looked like it grew from ancient ruins, vines entangling around her shoulders as if they held the weight of untold stories. Invisible faeries gathered to dance in their home. I'm quickly lost in the dreadful beauty.

My rigid fingers found life again as they traveled toward her but paused about an inch from her hand. Digging my nails inside the skin of my palm, I made a slow retreat. Here I am, craving her scent and the feel of her close to me. Putting myself in her shoes, I understand how scary it is without sight. Utterly blind to the devices of the world. My heart string strummed with vicious pain. As a child, my grandmother taught me how to use the Ocarina. I wanted to play something special for her. The rich North Ireland blood rushed with might in my veins, this tender shoot, the daring arctic wolf in me wanted to protect her at all cost.

"Olly, can you lend me your ears?"

She turned, and I hadn't seen how much she was blushing until now, her face glowed with a rakish red as if she'd caught a terrible fever. I smirked with wicked abandon and I wondered what was going on in that pretty head.

"Spare me your bad jokes."

"You think my jokes are bad?" I inched closer, tempted to hug her shoulders. Those hands, those damn tiny hands are the death of me.

Her finger twisted around a loose lock of hair, "To be honest, they're not so bad."

Like a playful child, I fished around in my pocket for the delicate instrument. "I'm going to play a tune with a special item. Listen well."

She fought down her giggle but I could tell she was intrigued.

"Imagine yourself in a world of dragons, merchants, thieves, and mercenaries." I pressed my lips on the smooth mouthpiece and blew air into it. Goosebumps came over her in an instant, as if she was pressed between two chunks of ice.

I played Serenade of the Seas, taking her on a treacherous trail, beyond the marsh kingdoms, toward an enchanted forest filled with wild animals of mysterious origins. Haunted by fragmented memories of a violent past, I hoped she didn't perceive the subtle interchanging notes of the melody.

Her eyelids fell as she absorbed music created by the pastel colors of my thoughts, "What are you not telling me Stormme." She saw past my gruff exterior. There's no hiding it.

I nestled the Ocarina in her palm and her eyes softened, "It's called Serenade of the Seas. I didn't expect you'd be moved by it."

She rubbed her fingers over the instrument, "You are good with that mouth of yours. I never knew a playboy can get his way around with such grace." I caught her chin, basking in a sense of happiness I hadn't experienced in a long time. My feelings for her were beyond words, she made a mess of my damn lungs, made the center of my chest throb.

"I'll gladly give my eyes for you to see the good things in this world and take the darkness for myself, hide them away. Deep in my being until they cease to exist so you'll have no other choice but to burst from the light that consumes you," Her lashes brushed her cheeks, they were splashed blood red, and her neck tilts as if she was tipsy from strong drink.

My life was a whirlwind of business meetings and social gatherings, with little room for family, or bonds. I cherished every moment with her and my heart ached when we are apart. I'd hoped she didn't leave her neck exposed to me. I'm barely holding on to what little control I have left.