Chapter 27

"Let us live like flowers,

Wild and beautiful and drenched in
the sun."

—Ellen Everett

OLIVET

He gave the door a disgusted glance, and his jaw flexed. "I'll be with him in a minute."

"Vitor?" His name sounds like it belonged to a century-old vampire. An ancient power that's better left hidden. I'm reading too many fantasy novels.

"He's my father." The muscles in his back bunched when he raised his thick arms to shutter the curtains.

This is a perfect opportunity to meet his dad. He may be more accepting.

"Can I meet him?"

"Yes, as long as you're feeling better." He reaches out and takes my hand, his eyes glimmering with warmth. He wraps his arms around me, "You're not saying anything."

He bears the image of grace. I can't see God, but the way his face was carved with such care and thought, the laugh lines beside his eyes, he gave me a man who bears his image.

"My love."

I did not know that simply hearing someone say 'my love' could make oceans fill my tear duct. P.R.E.CI.O.U.S. he brings out completely another version of me. He has mastered the art of drowning me without water.

"Are you crying?"

He looked like a dream, standing in front of those shimmering white curtains, and after the cold rain had dissipated, he had something venerable about him. Those dark scotch curls and vintage eyes —sweeter than whiskey. I hugged him. His gentle scent of sparkling bergamot and sage was comforting. I didn't want to fall in love with him, I wanted us to walk in love.

We've walked in a field of fire, watching our world burn to nothing, and then we've watered that field with our tears. Bright yellow dandelions and large peonies grew, large and fluffy and intensely fragranced. Yes, we walked in love.

"You were never my other half," he freezes. A shadow of sadness contorted his handsome face, and I cupped his cheek. "You're the entire package."

".. Oh Olly." He kisses the corner of my eyes, the right, then the left. He plucked me from the earth and made me his. My fingers trembled like an earthquake at the bridge forming for our souls, I didn't want him to be ripped from me. I wish I could remove the batteries from the clock so that --time would stay for us.

"This might make you cringe, but," he points at the sky. "The clouds have nothing weighing them down. They are free and at peace." He takes my chin between his fingers. His eyes were full of sincerity. " This is how I feel when I wake up next to you every morning."

The lump in my throat grew an inch when he rested his forehead on mine. His strong hands were still locked to my waist, gaze zeroing in on my lips. He leaned in, and a knock sounded at the door.

"Vallis," he growled. "Give me a minute." His eyes darkened, fringed by lashes so long they are better suited to one of my gender.

"You can't keep your guest waiting."

He turned on his heel, and when the door clicked shut, I expelled the breath I'd been holding. My face was on fire. My mind was ablaze with naughty, delicious thoughts of him. The way he looked at my lips just now made my belly quiver.

There was an odd, aching pulse between my legs. An unfulfilled ache that throbbed endlessly.

The door whispered lightly on its hinge, making me stretch my to the side. Vallis sauntered in, her sunlit blonde hair bouncing over her shoulders. Styled with care and pinned tightly in place at the back of her head. Her cheeks were bronzed and contoured with stunning symmetry.