Chapter 22

"I couldn't live where there were no trees --something vital in me would starve."

—Ann's house of dreams.

OLIVET

I was dressed in a flowing gown of sky-blue silk and my wavy hair tucked in an elegant updo. My lips, slightly pink and lush at the bottom, gave me an appearance of tender allure. No makeup, just natural me. I'm tempted to cover up the freckles on my nose with liquid foundation so I grabbed the smooth concealer brush and patted the tiny dotted areas of my nose until they faded. This will be our second public entrance together, the press will be there, and cameras, tons and tons of cameras.

Sweat formed heavily on the tips of my fingers and my stomach churned. Please Olivet, don't ruin this moment for him by making a fool of yourself. I studied Stormme from the corner of my eyes, dazzled.

He wore an expensive well-tailored Armani suit. The string of sunlight pierced the floating dustmotes in the air, giving life to the hues of green in his sapphire orbs. I gazed at the tumble of dark hair falling across his brow when he propped his tall frame against the wall. He's heart-wrenchingly beautiful and wildly masculine.

His silvery glance caught me and his gaze softened, "Come here."

I floated toward the man I'd fallen so helplessly in love with, he took my slender fingers between his. I became hyper-aware of his touch. His smell. His heat. In one swoop of breath, I saw him—and only him. The world around us disappeared, and in that moment, he was everything. Nothing else existed.

This was real, he had my heart in his hand and I knew it could break easily. We break easily and when we do, it happens .. but when I look at him, I see someone who cares for me unconditionally. I see everything I have ever wanted. What I've prayed so long for.

He gently brushes his rough fingertips against the bridge of my nose and he rubs it while drinking in my gaze, fire licked across my belly at the way he looks at me. He lifted his hands and cupped my cheek, his palm big and warm. I was so soft compared to him.

"Don't ever hide your freckles, they are my galaxy of stars, waiting to be explored." And there and then, he kissed the tip of my nose and inhaled sharply. I scraped at the boulder-hard surface of his pectoral muscles, the sultriness of his skin burning through the fabric of his suit.

He wraps his firm arms around my body, squeezing me close. I can hear his heartbeat against my ear as I press up against him, my whole body tingling and aching, my sex tightening at each possessive stroke of his hands on my back.

We kissed like it was the first time, pleasure takes hold of the nerves in my lips as he grasped the base of my neck to hold me in place. I opened my mouth and our tongues clash, our teeth butting in animal desire.

I moan through the kiss, the euphoria whisking me away. He makes a groaning noise, the same growling contentment of a wolf who has finally caught its quarry and is now feasting. I want to sink deeper into the experience of lying in the glow of his affection.

"Mine," he grits out against my burning lips. "You are mine, Olivet De Raizel." I melted in his arms, all my bones disappeared until there was nothing left, "Your pain is mine, your tears and fears. They're all mine."

He moved away to take in the sight of my gown, my fingers were pale so I hid them at my back. I exhale, and sweat dots my forehead.

"Are you nervous?"

I nod, squeezing my eyes. "The press will be at the opening ceremony and I'm not good with cameras. It makes me nauseous. What if I throw up? It will be over the Times magazine and —"