Chapter 24

"Supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."
― Sun Tzu. 

STORMME

She's giving me signals, like a cat in heat. I saw it in the way her pupils dilated, the soft change in her diaphragm when I touched her, and it became more difficult to resist the little thing. Even now, my blood sang in my veins, and my body tensed with desire for her. Never in my life have I made love to a woman.

I needed her. My body wanted this, but deep down, where there's a dark corridor secured with locks and dusty old chains, they are going to shatter the instant our bodies and souls connect. God knows I won't be able to let her go. Not after I've claimed her. I'd be giving her a piece of me I've not given to another. I can't just F—k the woman I love. What I feel for her won't allow something so empty and trivial.

"Sir, you seem quite thoughtful. I've never seen you with such a serious expression." James said. He lowered his eyes from the rearview mirror before making another sharp turn on Palm View Street.

"It's business," I answered, clearing my throat. We were headed to my father's den. He owned a massive car company with trusted connections and underground services that were very closely related to illegal proceedings.

He's only ever taught me about money and power, never showing weakness or any emotion that makes you falter. Especially, the affection for another. I'm not fond of him, nor do I want to be. As a kid, I wanted a father who would come to my baseball games, play catch with me, and tuck me in at night. Whenever I failed to uphold his standard as a son of the Sylvan household, he'd flog me, and Mother watched while he did this. She had no maternal bond or instinct.

My palms are burning. I hadn't realized how tightly I clenched them. Our family isn't structured like others. We had policies and laws forged with iron, breaking any had consequences. We didn't f—king sit together and have dinner in a warm, friendly manner. We wore white masks, and no conversations were exchanged. Looking at each other's faces is strictly forbidden during dinners.

There are times when Olivet asks about my relatives, and I'd brush it off. They aren't normal people. We had dark things that were kept only to the family. They are the ties that bind us, and if I tell her more than I should, she'd surely leave me. She won't stay. I'm covered in mud and filth, filth she can't see. I didn't want her to see it. She won't look at me the same way.

My heart will break, and already, I can feel it cracking. I've never fallen so hard and so beautifully. Keeping my family's blood order from her will be a betrayal of her trust. I don't intend to hide anything from her. I'm laying it all on the line. My phone flashed with a message, and I glanced down at the screen. Jacobson wants me to call him. My eyebrows rose slowly. It sounds urgent.

I speed-dialed his number, and he answered right away.

"Mr. Sylvan. My deepest apology. I had some issues with my service provider." His voice muffled behind the speaker. It sounded like he spoke from an old radio. "I made an error with the documents."

"What do you mean?" My chest swelled with air, and immediately James shut the power window.

There's much trembling in the way he responded, "Th..they were real licensed documents."

Jesus. I dragged one hand down my face, breathing out sharply. My heart rate was soaring at an alarming rate as I tried to bite back from snapping at him.

"You married us by accident." I haven't even sorted out my shit and this incompetent ..."How!?"

He stammered, "Please. I'll fix it. I mean. We can talk about divorce, so it won't be an issue if you don't want to be with her."