Chapter 17

"Life is filled with many beautiful moments waiting to be discovered."

— Coco

STORMME

The nurses were sprinting behind trying to catch up with my long strides. Even if the surgery wasn't a success, I needed to know if she was okay.

"Mr. Sylvan, you can't just —"

I burst the door open and Klaus glanced up from his medical chart but then my eyes shift to the bed. She's positioned on her side. Opening my lips a little, I pulled air in and out of my mouth.

"She's asleep," he stands with a proud look on his face." The surgery was a success, you can breathe easy."

I feel sweaty and I can't stop staring at her. When she turned, my throat tightened and I stepped back. She hasn't seen my face in a long time, what if I scare her away or she gets turned off?

He cleared his throat, jerking my head toward him.

"Mr. Sylvan, how long will you stand there?" he stepped next to the bed and gently slipped his hand behind her neck. He's going to wake her up.

"Wait. Let me shave first and my clothes are wrinkled, I'll head back to the hotel."

"That's unnecessary. Now get here, she kept asking for you."

I approached her bedside. Around me, the noise drowns out, and the only thing I hear is the loud beat of my heart, the thumps almost bursting out of my chest. I watch her sleep despite my reluctance to do so. I took her in my arms while her head gently rested on my shoulder, her messy curls framed her face graciously. She had on the tacky backless hospital gown I am sure must be uncomfortable.

Yes, she quivered slightly and slowly peeled her eyes open. I turned my head away, all too suddenly. She sucked in her breath the way a diver would when they came up from a seven-hundred feet dive.

"Stormme." My heartbeat quickens, just like it does every time she says my name in that soft intimate tone. "I want to see you."

I turned to her and when she saw my face, she glanced away, her pale cheeks flushing so prettily.

"You were never ..this handsome," she whispered, her gaze falling to my lips, "Never this beautiful." I kissed her, carding my fingers through her hair. I cupped the back of her head, breathing her in deeply. My tongue stroked the inside of her mouth, to twine with hers as my head slanted, angling closer to allow my lips to stroke hers.

She was trembling in his arms. I wanted to whisk her away, where we could be alone.

With a muttered groan I pulled back from the kiss and stared into her face. Her eyes were dazed, her expression slack with need.

"I thought I'd scare you off."

"No." Her voice was thready, desperate. "I've prayed to see you again, to see your eyes and the way they light up when you smile —the way they look at me in my darkest and my happiest moments."

I drank her in, tenderness swelling inside me so deep, so strong it nearly strangled me. Her thick black lashes lowered. It took me a long time to realize that I am the happiest, not at parties or dinners or shows. I am the happiest when I'm with her.

"At the end of the day, I want it to be just you and me ..wife." she blushed deep red and her body trembled when I touched her face, "I want your early mornings and your late nights. I want you on your good days and even more on your bad."

She pressed her hand over her mouth to hold back a sob and I let her lean against my shoulder.

Dr. Klaus walked in, "She can be discharged. Here's her prescription."He handed me a thin blue paper and I read the information there.