Murder Victim

Calibri was exhausted as she walked up to her door. It was a long day at work, and sitting in an office is not exactly how she wanted to spend her time. Especially since Nancy called in last minute and said she couldn't work, so Calibri was called in to cover her shift. 

She opened the door and took off her shoes before setting her bag down and closing the door. 

"Another day, another dollar I guess." 

A hand was placed over her mouth, and Calibri made a noise in shock before biting the hand. The intruder yelped and backed off, and Calibri turned to see the last person she thought would be there. 

"Wren?" It was her cousin. 

Wren smirked evilly and branded a knife. "Hola, prima. How's it going?" The woman was nearly an exact copy of Calibri, but her eyes were mitch matched, and her hair was cut short. 

"Why are you here and what's with the knife?" Calibri was backing away as her cousin came closer, the two soon backing into the kitchen. 

"Do you know how long I had to deal with being confused for you? 'Cali, did you cut your hair?' 'Calibri, what are you doing here?' I'm sick and tired of it! My boyfriend even left me because even he was confused!" 

Calibri grabbed the house phone without her cousin seeing and dialed 9-1-1 behind her back. 

"So, I intend to make all of it stop! The only way that I stop getting confused for you and having strange people ask if I'm you, is to take you out entirely." 

Wren lunged with the knife, but Calibri was quick to fight back. Grabbing Wren's wrist and wrestling her down, but even her brave efforts were in vain as Wren managed to stab Calibri in the chest. 

Directly hitting the heart. 

"Looks like your over." Calibri coughed up blood, but she didn't stop fighting. She pushed herself up off the knife and turned it on her cousin, her weight pushed the knife right through Wren's skull. "If I'm going, I'll take you with me." 

The long-haired woman then fell on her side, her world blurring out before everything went black. 

Calibri opened her eyes to see herself in a forest. The grass feeling like plush velvet as she sat up, the world around her was bright and colorful. But it was beautiful none the less. 

"Woah." 

The woman looked at herself to see she was covered with feathers. Green, yellow, blue, and teal patterns decorated her new body, and a tail swished around behind her as she stood up. 

Her legs were different now, as her feet looked more like an animal's mixed with bird talons. 

But that wasn't the surprising part. Large wings were now placed on her back, the appendages moving as she looked at them. 

Calibri heard a rustle in some of the bushes and bent down to prowl on all fours, being cautious as she approached the bush that rustled the most. 

She watched as two small creatures came out, one of them was pink and wearing a dress. A female. The other was grey, wearing a leaf vest and some brown pants. A male. The two didn't seem to notice Calibri yet. 

"Come on, Branch! It's just a sleepover, we're not gonna get attacked." The pink one was trying to urge the grey one to do something. 

But he rolled his eyes and turned to the pink creature, still not noticing Calibri lowering herself behind him. "No! The Bergens might find us, and take us during the night! I'm not going." 

The pink one froze as she looked up at Calibri, the woman's brown eyes were wide with wonder. 

"Branch." So that's the grey one's name. "No, Poppy. I told you; I'm not going!" 

Branch then turned around, only to bump into Calibri's face. He stepped back slowly as the now feathered woman blinked as they stared at each other. 

"Bergen." 

"No, I don't know what that is. I'm, or was, human." The pink creature, or Poppy, came up to Calibri and watched as the feathered woman sat on her thighs. "Oh, what's a human?" 

Calibri smiled softly at her and answered. "A human is a creature that looks like me, but without the feathers, wings, and tail. Now, what are you?" 

Poppy smiled brightly as she gave her answer. "We're trolls! I'm Princess Poppy, and this is Branch." 

Branch seemed more cautious than Poppy. "And we taste terrible! Practically poisonous!" 

Calibri chuckled at him and surprisingly picked him up in her hand.

"Why would I eat you? I'm a vegetarian, except for cheese, eggs, milk, and fish." 

Poppy then seemed to have an idea. "Why don't you come with us to Troll Village?! I'm sure everyone would love you!" 

"With my size, I don't think that's a good idea." Calibri put Branch down gently and tilted her head. "If only I was that small." 

Poof! The feathered woman was now almost as small as the trolls in front of her. She was standing a little taller than Branch, the middle of his hair reaching her shoulder. 

"Well, guess I'm coming after all." 

Poppy cheered as she led the way, occasionally helping Calibri steady herself as she got used to her new body. 

Branch followed from behind, carrying some sticks. "Poppy, is this a good idea?" 

"Of course, it is. Stop worrying. Oh! Before I forget, what's your name?" Poppy had to look up to meet Calibri's eyes. 

"Calibri, it means Hummingbird."