Dreams of the Past

"Mama, tell me the story again, por favor?" 

"Alright, mija, one last time and then it's time for bed." 

A mother and daughter were getting ready for bed, the mother pulled out a book from a shelf and sat with her child. The woman opened the book and the little girl looked at the pictures on the pages in awe. 

"Hundreds of years ago, long before the first conquistadors came to Central America looking for gold and treasure, there lived a beautiful woman in a peaceful village." 

The girl smiled as she looked at the drawing of a beautiful woman in tribal clothes and painted with green and red. "Her name was Calibri."

"Yes, it was. She loved her village and the jungle that surrounded them, it's beauty and wonders never ceased to amaze her. One day she stumbled upon a wounded serpent, the pour thing had many scratches and looked as if it was begging for help." 

The little girl touched the picture of the snake, before her mom turned to the next page. 

"So, Calibri took the snake back to her village and nursed it back to health. Once the reptile was healed the woman tried to release it, but it stayed. The two then were inseparable, always by each other's side, even after Calibri married and had a family." 

The mother smiled as her daughter stared at the pictures and listened with wonder. 

"But, one day a warring tribe came to her village, they killed many and when they were about to hurt her daughter, Calibri shielded her and was killed instead. The snake that has been her companion for years, then shed its skin and grew to a huge size. It grew wings and feathers as the serpent's true form was revealed." 

The next picture depicted a large, winged snake with feathers, looming over the enemy warriors. They were protecting the woman's body. 

"Quetzalcoatl." 

"Quetzalcoatl hissed in fury as his tail curled around his friend's body as he shouted at the tribesmen. 'How dare you! You come to this village with nothing but anger and greed! And now you will pay!' The great serpent spat his venom on the enemy warriors and turned them into yellow snakes." 

The girl cheered as that happened in the story but then remembered what happened next. 

"When the tribesmen or new snakes, slithered away in fear, Quetzalcoatl looked around the now destroyed village. So many people were dead, and he felt a pain he never thought he'd feel in his immortal life. Sadness. 'Oh, Calibri, I'm so sorry for all of this. But I will atone for this.' Quetzalcoatl raised his wings and some of his feathers fell to the bodies of the dead villagers." 

"'Anyone who is descended from this village now and forever be reborn when it is not their time as my feathers, my children, my Plumas de Quetzalcoatl.' With that everyone came back, and their new forms were magnificent." 

The picture showed the Calibri in the story with red and orange feathers. She looked like a phoenix as she glowed with the great serpent's magic. 

"Calibri was so grateful to Quetzalcoatl that she and her village vowed to use their power for protecting the weak and mending the broken. She even changed her name to match her feathers, she called herself, Fénix." 

"Phoenix." 

The mother then shut the book and put it away before she tucked her daughter into bed. The girl looked to her mom and asked a question. 

"Mama, did you name me after the woman in the story?" 

The woman shook her head. "No, I chose your name because you're my little hummingbird. And no matter what, I'll always be here for you." 

"I love you, Mama." 

"I love you too, Calibri." 

Branch was looking for Calibri as he straightened his leaf vest. It was late and they had to rest up for tomorrow since they had a royal wedding to plan in the morning. 

He soon found her looking at the moon as she sat on a tree branch. 

"Cali, are you okay?" 

Calibri snapped out of whatever trance she was in and looked to her boyfriend and nodded. "I'm fine, babe, just thinking." 

Branch sat with her and noticed how her expression was sorrowful and tired. "About what?" 

"My family, my mom mostly. She was the closest to me before she got sick. She died of sickle cell when I was a teenager; I haven't ever cried so much than when I did next to her deathbed." 

The troll hugged her, and she returned it. "You never told me that." 

"I wanted to work up to it. The anniversary of her death is coming up soon too." Calibri took a deep breath and broke the hug. "Course, I'm kinda dead too." 

Branch held the woman's hand and leaned on her shoulder. "Maybe she's a Quetz too. You did mention Prince D saying they had some Quetz's visit where the funk trolls live." 

"I'd love to see her again, even for a moment. But for now, I think I'll stay with my awesome friends and incredible boyfriend." 

The two took in the view as the stars glistened in the sky. 

A/N: I'm so sorry for ghosting you guys! I had a lot of stuff to do, and I had to rethink my schedule. I will be updating on Saturdays and Sundays when I can. But here's a deeper look at Calibri and start you guys for the third movie. Love you all!